Recovery Week

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Decided to give my body a break this week.

I normally commute 6 miles each way each day. I have SCR tendencies, so this is usually an intense 25 minutes of pedalling each way. I've recently started training for the Great Birmingham Run 1/2 marathon, so I'm out running three times a week too.

So, given advice from here and other experts, I'm taking this week off. I rode in on Monday, and will do so again on Friday, but having these next three days without cycling and all week until Saturday without running. I'll be driving in instead and watching telly in the evening. This will hopefully give my body some time to recover, and give me a boost for my next 6 week stretch of running training.

Any tips on surviving bike cold turkey? What can I expect? Will I become a Moton? Will I survive?

Or is it something that is too terrible to contemplate? Is it best faced without knowing the horrors of what might happen?

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
egads, a day without cycling is like a day without....well cycling...
think of the lack of protein from all the bugs you won't be swallowing? :biggrin:

Do you have a nice route to work?

I occasionally walk in as I can take a nice rural route and I set off a little earlier, admitedly I'm at just over half the distance of around 3.5 miles but if it was 6 miles every so often I'd still walk if was on the same route.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Wait until you hit your first traffic jam, you'll go mad. I got suckered into going to the Merry Hill centre as a car passenger last weekend, ended up getting out and walking.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Wait until you hit your first traffic jam, you'll go mad. I got suckered into going to the Merry Hill centre as a car passenger last weekend, ended up getting out and walking.

Sadly school holidays are making it all too easy to drive in. Roads are clear, and jams are all gone.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
6 Miles?
Yeah, have a rest.... run it instead!:tongue:

Trevrev

Veteran
I take a week off from running sometimes, Mainly due to injury.
I never stop cycling though, as it's only a 15 mile round trip for me.........It would just be lazy to stop.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

That should make it easier to cycle to work surely...............LOL

No. My ride consists of park, minor roads/cycle lane, canal towpath. Never any traffic queues on any of these. However during the school holidays the park gets considerably busier, and therefore slows me down.

Will start running it after my recovery week.

crumpetman

No. My ride consists of park, minor roads/cycle lane, canal towpath. Never any traffic queues on any of these. However during the school holidays the park gets considerably busier, and therefore slows me down.

Who do you race against through that route?

As others have said, 6 miles each way is not a lot so just take it easy and keep on cycling. That or run it.

Sounds like a niceish walk? I'd be tempted to try it one day, if its too much/boring you can always bus/train back?

Top Bottom