recumbent once more

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
got myself a challenge furai. i think you will agree a fine looking machine :biggrin:

DSC00148.jpg

Arch

Married to Night Train
Nice indeed.:wacko:

Very stealthy looking.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Say, that's a nice bike. :wacko:
Am quite envious of your chain tubes.

Few questions, in order of ascending geekiness:
  • You planning to put clipless pedals on there?
  • Is that a laidback sticker on the frame?
  • Do you find top gear high enough? (Might just be the photo angle. Is that a T53?)
  • How come you ended up with a manufacturer's sticker on the rear rather than the model number?

Beautiful piece of kit mate.

OP
OP
velocidad

velocidad

Veteran
arallsopp said:
Say, that's a nice bike. :smile:
Am quite envious of your chain tubes.

Few questions, in order of ascending geekiness:
  • You planning to put clipless pedals on there?
  • Is that a laidback sticker on the frame?
  • Do you find top gear high enough? (Might just be the photo angle. Is that a T53?)
  • How come you ended up with a manufacturer's sticker on the rear rather than the model number?

Beautiful piece of kit mate.

chain tube envy? you not have any on yours then?

clipless no, but some of those power grip thingies probably.

laidback sticker yes, originally from them.

top gear high enough?, huh, i wish i had the umf to find out, not even been been on outer ring yet :blush:

not sure about the lack of model name sticker, i wondered that myself.

cheers,

velocidad.

OP
OP
velocidad

velocidad

Veteran
yep uss is an option. as for weight, i'm not sure. maybe 15kg as it is. you can specify a light weight model with carbon boom etc etc which i believe gets it down to about 12kg, but don't quote me on those weights.

cheers,

velocidad

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
velocidad said:
chain tube envy? you not have any on yours then?
Nope. Mine is the SLII variant, with no rear stickers at all:smile:

Andy in Sig said:
Do they do USS versions of that and what does it weigh?

USS adds 0.2kg, but as velocidad says, you can still keep it around 12 if you're careful with options. Mine is a touch over at the moment, but its rigged for touring with a big tailbag at the back, a SON hub dynamo, GPS, and lighting front and rear.

Shipped like this:
3381563119_d9f07c6ccb_o.jpg

Now looks like this:
3471056601_7337096d23_o.jpg

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
That's interesting. I've got a Street Machine which I wouldn't part with under any circumstances but have been thinking about getting something lighter which would never be loaded with anything more than the equivalent of a top bag (a bit like in your picture) simply for going faster on one day rides. I really like the Street Machine design and have been trying to identify a lightweight model which (relatively) closely resembles it. The only thing which seems to be missing on yours is that the back wheel is not 26".

NickM

Veteran
Please be sure to keep your front quick release done up TIGHT.

A friend's Furai lost its front wheel under hard braking, wrecking both wheel and fork (he was lucky, and landed on his feet).

NickM

Veteran
Andy in Sig said:
That's interesting. I've got a Street Machine which I wouldn't part with under any circumstances but have been thinking about getting something lighter which would never be loaded with anything more than the equivalent of a top bag (a bit like in your picture) simply for going faster on one day rides. I really like the Street Machine design and have been trying to identify a lightweight model which (relatively) closely resembles it. The only thing which seems to be missing on yours is that the back wheel is not 26".
Burrows Ratcatcher seems to fit the bill, if your back fits its seat - not USS, but I don't know of a current 559/406 bike which is both USS and likely to be much lighter than your Street Machine.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Thanks Nick, that looks nearer the mark. The lack of USS puts me right off though. It is a purely personal preference but I think OSS somehow goes against the point of a recumbent.

Top Bottom