Recycling Powerlinks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Who is for recycling powerlinks?
I have spares in my little box of bits, but I like to take chain off as and when to clean thoroughly.. this time tho' I must have clicked it into place well and truly good and it refuses to unhinge.... oh well.. unless
someone knows a trick with a pair of pointy pliers?
I know it says dont re use on the 'tin' but times are 'ard

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Squeeze it together first, then push the link open

OP
OP
I am Spartacus

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Next time I want chain off, I'll pop the rivet off... it wont budge,
Tried a bit of heat
Its a nasty hg73 chain anyways, I'll ditch as soon as a sideplate cracks, as they usually do

Dan B

Disengaged member
I've never had problems reusing them.

Yes, some are stiffer than others. Get a pair of pliers and squeeze them "diagonally", so that each jaw is pushing on only one face. If that makes any sense

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
This needs to be on everyones Xmas List
46600.jpg

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=46600

OP
OP
I am Spartacus

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Lost patience with it... popped the link out and put a connex one in which I know I can undo even with numb cold fingers at roadside.. even tho the damn thing doesnt like going round 11 sprockets

eeek 9.99 for pliers....?

Jonathan M

coruskate said:
I've never had problems reusing them.

Yes, some are stiffer than others. Get a pair of pliers and squeeze them "diagonally", so that each jaw is pushing on only one face. If that makes any sense

+1, used them to the point of failiure with one powerlink going through several changes of chain.

If I can't get one to undo by hand I usually give the link a good scrub with a toothbrush to remove as much grit as possible, and then a blast with GT85 or somesuch. Never had to resort to using pliars of any type to do the job. If it won't release then walk away, make a brew, don't get cheesed off with it as any job just gets worse if I get frustrated with it.

Top Bottom