reelight - anyone got these

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

Anything that compromises the security of the rear Q/R is a no-no.

jimboalee

GrumpyGreg said:
very true. but in what way do these do so?

The metalwork on the device is sandwiched between the dropout and the Q/R thumb nut.

Anyhow, if this lamp is used, you are illegal if you do not have another ( primary ) lamp higher than 350mm off the ground.
Knowing this, have a primary rear on the seatpost and a second rear lamp on the back of your helmet.

Forty five quid is a joke.

Tynan

Veteran
funny how they don't really say where they mount isn't it?

surprised anyone worries about batteries in these days of leds and rechargeables

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
jimboalee said:
The metalwork on the device is sandwiched between the dropout and the Q/R thumb nut.

I know that, but in what way does that compromise the integrity of the QR? I've had various bits of metal sandwiched in there over the years and never ever had a problem.

Anyhow, if this lamp is used, you are illegal if you do not have another ( primary ) lamp higher than 350mm off the ground.
Knowing this, have a primary rear on the seatpost and a second rear lamp on the back of your helmet.

Forty five quid is a joke.

agree on all counts...

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
I have used them before and the only issue I had was that the sensor messed up the speedometer on my wireless cycle computer giving me an average speed of 200mph.

Randochap

Senior hunter
As you can see on my lighting page, I like the idea of generating my own power -- not having to worry about batteries and charging -- but I'm not impressed by these kinds of contraptions. I haven't seen any that I'd consider quality bicycle lighting.

I don't know about the light attachment, but I don't want anything clamped to my spokes, thank you very much.

On edit: Wait a minute; are these flashing lights, front and rear? Fergeddaboudit!

RedBike

They're £44!!
If you want a 2/3 LED light I would invest in a set from Tesco for about £2.

If you like the idea of always having a light on the bike and never having to worry about batteries then perhaps a good dynamo lighting system. At least you'll be able to see where you're going with a good dynamo light. I can't image that front reelight illuminating the road ahead much.

There's nothing new about generating power by induction / magnets. This is exactly how a dynamo works!

jimboalee

J. Lucas did something similar years ago.

A small generator had a knurled wheel which was driven by the tyre.

The electricity that was produced powered front and rear lamps.

Then, Sturmey Archer incorperated a generator into a hub :smile:

Those in the know are aware of where a Sturmey Dynohub can be had for £8. £15 for a set of spokes and a lamp set for a tenner.

That's still less expensive than Reelites, and a much better illumination, AND LEGAL.

Llama

Veteran
i looked at these a while back and was put off by the price and fact the light is so low - will drivers actually be able to see it - get a decent set of lights instead

belairman

jimboalee said:
J. Lucas did something similar years ago.

A small generator had a knurled wheel which was driven by the tyre.

The electricity that was produced powered front and rear lamps.

That's just what I had on my Raleigh Chopper thirty-odd years ago! It was great except when you stopped, the lights went out ...

Top Bottom