reflective jacket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dand_uk

Hi can anyone recommend me a mens cycling hi-viz jacket with a good amount of reflective material? One of my commute roads is unlit and I'd like to be more visible.

Preferable one like the one I'm replacing with zips under the arms to let the air in when you're too hot!

Thanks in advance!

Dan

vickster

Legendary Member
What sort of weather are you going to be using it in?

I recommend the Altura Night Vision for cooler weather. I use the equivalent of the Cropton for warmer weather

Very good prices here (esp for the NV)

http://www.bikesyoulike.co.uk/product/6063/Altura_Night_Vision_Waterproof_Jacket_2011

http://www.bikesyoulike.co.uk/product/4997/Altura_Cropton_Windproof_Jacket_2011

The Montane velo featherlite's get good press too (or the H20 version for waterproof) - I think they are around £40 and £60 respectively

You can of course spend much more on more highly technical fabrics, I have assumed lower end :smile:

If you want visible, go for yellow

amaferanga

Veteran
For an unlit roads good lights will make much more of a difference. I find it sad that so many cyclists feel they MUST wear a bright yellow jacket at all times, even when its 20 degrees plus.

vickster

Legendary Member
I ride in heavy traffic, frankly I would rather people can see me and I personally think that is more likely if I am wearing something bright :rolleyes: If, it is very warm and bright daylight I do not bother but if it is cooler and the weather dull, I wear a light yellow gilet
It is pretty patronising to comment that you find wanting to be visible sad :angry: It's similar to the whole helmet debate, if it makes you feel safer, surely that's what is important!

amaferanga

Veteran
I ride in heavy traffic, frankly I would rather people can see me and I personally think that is more likely if I am wearing something bright :rolleyes: If, it is very warm and bright daylight I do not bother but if it is cooler and the weather dull, I wear a light yellow gilet
It is pretty patronising to comment that you find wanting to be visible sad :angry: It's similar to the whole helmet debate, if it makes you feel safer, surely that's what is important!

What I meant was it's sad that so many cyclists feel that they must wear yellow jackets at all times - not that the people that do it are sad.

But I still think lights, and in particular flashing lights, make you more visible. Also, since yellow is the colour of a a lot of street furniture then its probably not the best colour to wear. I believe pink is the best colour.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Bit warm atm for a full hi viz jacket , atm i have been wearing a sam brwone belt and reflective arm bands for me county lane commute.

Top Bottom