Reflectors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSA

My bike currently only has a reflector on the seat mounted pannier and nothing on the front or pedals.

Legally what am i required to have on the bike for road use?

Where can I but them from? I couldnt find any on wiggle or chain reaction

parklaneyido

I took all my reflectors off when I got my road bike... One on the seatpost and two on each wheel

byegad

Legendary Member
If the bike is later than the mid 1980s then the pedals should have reflectors if usad at night. Try St John's Street Cycles they had some last year when I needed some.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
BSA said:
My bike currently only has a reflector on the seat mounted pannier and nothing on the front or pedals.

Legally what am i required to have on the bike for road use?

Where can I but them from? I couldnt find any on wiggle or chain reaction

from CTC

Rear Reflector

One is required, coloured red, marked BS6102/2 (or equivalent), positioned centrally or offside, between 350mm and 900mm from the ground, at or near the rear, aligned towards and visible from behind.
Pedal Reflectors

Four are required, coloured amber and marked BS6102/2 (or equivalent), positioned so that one is plainly visible to the front and another to the rear of each pedal.
Exceptions and explanations

Age brings privileges. To name but two: cycles manufactured before October 1990 can have any kind of white front lamp that is visible from a reasonable distance, and pre-October 1985 cycles don’t need pedal reflectors.

Randochap

Senior hunter
There are better systems

I run 3 rear lights: 2 blinkies, one on each stay and another on the rear rack. Then I have a reflective triangle on my racktop bag (which the rack light actually shines through -- the centre of triangle is net).

In addition, I have made a reflective mudflap for the rear mudguard, which is festooned with reflective flags.

On the front I use a variety of lights, but my best system runs on a generator hub.

On the books, we have the same "rules," including that all bikes must be shipped with reflectors. These are for people who need looking after.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i think the legislation covers the sale of bikes, rather than their use. very few 'proper' road pedals have reflectors, although some decent cycling shoes have a reflective bit on the heel.

my summer bike is unencumbered by reflectors, whereas the winter one carrys one to the rear, one to the front and, unusually, has look pedals with integral reflectors front and rear. and you can never have too many lights…

OP
OP
BSA

BSA

Thanks for the answers, My frame was built in the 70's so should have been exempt anyway. I have good lights on the bike and I wear a highvis top with scotchlite built in.

I dont really see the need for extra reflectors on the bike but I wanted to make sure it was road legal.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
You can get lights that incorporate a rear reflector - the Torch 9x does this, as does the Cateye AU1000 (not 100% sure of the cateye model number, but I think that's it).

parklaneyido

dubman said:
just bin the lot , and get some lights , i doubt you get any hassle.

A traffic police car overtook me last night and I have no reflectors on my bike.... I think they probably have better things to be doing :biggrin:

Chris James

Über Member
alecstilleyedye said:
i think the legislation covers the sale of bikes, rather than their use. very few 'proper' road pedals have reflectors, although some decent cycling shoes have a reflective bit on the heel.

my summer bike is unencumbered by reflectors, whereas the winter one carrys one to the rear, one to the front and, unusually, has look pedals with integral reflectors front and rear. and you can never have too many lights…

Nope, the legislation is for riding a bike not selling one. There is a separate law about that (which include fitting a bell and, I think front reflector. You are at liberty to take these off after you receive the bike).

You must have a BS (or equivalent) rear reflector and YELLOW pedal reflectors (BS marked) as opposed to reflective bits on your shoes.

However, getting hold of some of those things could be tricky. There is also the minefield of BS not approving LEDs. I seem to recall that if your rear LED works on both flashing and constant modes then it is probably illegal (mine does).

byegad

Legendary Member
parklaneyido said:
A traffic police car overtook me last night and I have no reflectors on my bike.... I think they probably have better things to be doing :biggrin:

I'm sure you're right. BUT the point is not whether the Police are bothered but what a defence lawyer will make of it if you're unlucky enough to be knocked off by his client in the dark.

They'll try to reduce damages in a civil case and to get a not guilty verdict in a criminal case. They already try this re on helmet use and a lawyers job is to protect his client 'BY ANY LEGAL MEANS'. So why give them ammunition?

Lets face it a couple of reflectors are not going to slow down anyone and could ensure you get full compensation in the event of a collision.

Before people tell me their clipless pedals can't carry reflectors think on my predicament. I ride recumbent trikes and if I fit pedal reflectors the only people to see them will be aircrew and anyone I run over!

Top Bottom