Reflectors?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicycle

I had a look at the bicycles ridden by my family of five, various ally and steel road bikes and MTBs and a fixie.

Not a reflector to be seen on any of them. Not a one.

I have a baker's tray in my workshop containing all the gubbins I've stripped off bikes over the past few years. It contains quite a few reflectors.

As a family we go for the 'visible' look as the light fades, but for me this has never included reflectors.

We have lights, we wear funky, bright colours. No reflectors.

Our pedals (almost all SPD, Look or Egg Beater) have no provision for reflectors and I usually strip the front and rear ones as I service a bike. I think I might find them aesthetically unpleasant...

Am I very naughty?

Are the law going to kick my door in, NKVD-style, and haul me off to Siberia?

Does anyone leave the reflectors on their bicycles?

I'm vane :blush: and my road bikes are reflector free but I've left them on my flat barred town bike, iiah there, they're probably ineffective but if one SMIDSY in 100 is alerted to my presence by them I'd rather have that odd.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The only bike I have that has reflectors is the commuter - well one rear one on the SKS guards, then a couple of stick on ones, and some black reflective tape at the front on the guards. Don't mention the lights though :thumbsup:

Hip Priest

Veteran
I've stripped the road bike of reflectors, but my commuter bike has a full compliment - simply because it's ugly anyway. I was told by my image concious roadie mate that reflectors and dustcaps have to go.

I've stripped the road bike of reflectors, but my commuter bike has a full compliment - simply because it's ugly anyway. I was told by my image concious roadie mate that reflectors and dustcaps have to go.

Unless they're these caps
111215.jpg

I don't think they are an aesthetic issue but for me it just means I can change a tube faster.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
I had a look at the bicycles ridden by my family of five, various ally and steel road bikes and MTBs and a fixie.

Not a reflector to be seen on any of them. Not a one.

I have a baker's tray in my workshop containing all the gubbins I've stripped off bikes over the past few years. It contains quite a few reflectors.

As a family we go for the 'visible' look as the light fades, but for me this has never included reflectors.

We have lights, we wear funky, bright colours. No reflectors.

Our pedals (almost all SPD, Look or Egg Beater) have no provision for reflectors and I usually strip the front and rear ones as I service a bike. I think I might find them aesthetically unpleasant...

Am I very naughty?

Are the law going to kick my door in, NKVD-style, and haul me off to Siberia?

Does anyone leave the reflectors on their bicycles?
The Brompton has Marathons on , with reflective side walls and has a folding pedal with a reflector one side and a SPD/combi pedal the other also with a refelctor. At the front it has a CTC refectlive sticker, but most of the time it has a B bag on it which has a refelctive badge and piping. Oh and the Cyo has a reflector built inSince the second Bromton dyno rear light packed up I have been using a Smart 7 LED light which I don't think has a reflector.

The Voyage has a RSP 3 led light at the rear with built in reflector, , no front reflector ( different Cyo) no reflectors on the pedals ( smack on the wrist for the LBS) . Rear wheel has reflector , front ( with dyno hub ) hasn't . Pair of spokelites on order. Bikebins have white , red or orange tape depending on perspective,

Nevada City has no reflectors of any sort.

peelywally

my clothing is reflective ,

my road bikes didnt come with reflectors i fitted lights my mtbs hardtail and full sus did ?

now which is more likely to be used on the road and need a reflector :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 1258

My fixed has reflectors on the back of the pedals and a pair of reflectors built into one of the rear lights. I'm using platform pedals and toeclips and the rear reflectors are tucked up under the platform where I can't flick them off whilst getting my foot in, so they have a chance of being there for a while. The fixed is my commuter and winter bike, the geared bike has no reflectors on it, thats tucked up in the shed until the spring.

Willo

My road bike has no reflectors, despite coming with them front, back and on the wheels. Combo of vanity and practicality (if not safety!!) saw them removed as small saddle bag, lights and computer were added in the space the reflectors used to occupy. However, as a fairly risk averse type, I put my lights on in gloomy weather such as the grey, wet day we had in Kent today and I've noticed a good few other road cyclists doing the same over the last 2 weekends. Rear light clipped to the saddle pack and the front on the bars, both flashing away is surely as effective as any reflector.

snailracer

Über Member
Pedal reflectors give an standardised cue of width and, therefore, distance. Most other reflectors or lights don't.

They also flash when you pedal, stop flashing when you stop pedalling, and are low mounted so they can be illuminated at maximum distance by dipped headlights. Their functionality astounds me!

BorderReiver

Veteran
Pedal reflectors are the cheapest, lightest and most effective way of being seen by anything coming up behind you. I really can't understand why more people don't use them, apart from the obvious difficulty of fitting them to some kinds of pedals. A bit of reflective tape will do the same job though.

I have a rear reflector on the folder that I most often use for Bikeability training, but that's about it. Only one set of pedals out of five bikes has reflectors on them, so I hope none of the children ever knows the rules about reflectors......

Top Bottom