Refurbishing my bike trailer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I now have my Bike trailer out of storage. It has not been used in four years, and is in a bit of a state, so I have started to service, repair, and refurbish it ready for my trip. At sometime a pigeon had crapped on it, fetching off some of the paint, it had started to rust in places, and the tyres that I fitted when I built it 1999 were really not suited to the task.

I had originally used a pair of bright red 16 X1.75 knobbly tyres for the trailer, envisioning slip and off-road grip requirements, and because they were on 50% sale at Halfords. The Knobbly tread just increased friction and rolling resistance making it a chore to tow the trailer. The Bright red tyres also clashed with the dark Midnight blue and gold of the trailer (I am such a tart). The first job that I have done to the trailer is to change the tyres, I now have a set of Schwalbe City Jet slick 16 X 1.9 tyres on it. I did a quick 6 miles with the empty trailer behind my commuter bike around Norwich the other evening, and it was a Joy to tow, easily bumping up and down the kerbs on the cycle paths. Last night, I cycled over to Asda 2 miles away to do my weekly shopping, it was my big monthly shop which included a lot of frozen food, taters, veg, canned produce, washing powder, softener and a 12lbs case of honey (more Mead making to come) load amounting to a total of around 25 kg's. My 3 Thermos cool bags fitted the cargo area perfectly, It towed easily and did not snake under braking, it bounced up and down the kerbs without disturbing the load, and looks a whole lot better now it has the standard black tyres on it.

This will be a complete refurbishment, requiring a total strip down, bearings regreasing, rebuilding, rubbing down and repainting. I have plenty of Hammerite Midnight blue paint in the cupboard, and will only need a small tin of hammerite gold paint, to complete the refurbishment. A small tin of paint at less than £10 is not going to break my bank account.

So far this is is not going to plan: The original steel mudguards that I made were hot spray galvanised, and there is some corrosion, especially where it is most visible, caused by bird droppings. The plan was to clean the surface with gun wash paint thinners and repaint with Gold Hammered effect Hammerite paint. But the new Gold Hammerite paint won't stick to the galvanise, this means that I will require the proper Hammerite primer-under coat @ £9.99 per 500 ml tin.

All is not lost though, as the trailer's main frame was made from gold coloured zinc passate coated hydraulic pipes, and the original coat(9 years old) of midnight blue smooth Hammerite paint is peeling badly. Most of this peeling is probably due to the Hammerite being applied directly onto the galvanised steel frame. With a 500 ml tin I will have more than enough primer to do all of the metal surfaces of the trailer (and some).

Here are a few photos of my bike trailer, before I refurbish it.
Looking down on it with the draw bar resting in the storage position on the cargo deck. To give you some idea of scale; wheels 16 inches in diameter. Cargo deck 30 inches long X 18 inches wide (Overall width to outside of wheels 26 inches), the wheels have been set at about 2 inches to the rear of the the centre line, to impose a load upon the drawbar and towing bicycle to prevent the trailer from nodding up and down around the wheel centre. Overall unladen weight is 22lbs.(10 kgs) I have successfully hauled almost 75 kgs over 5 miles on it, but the average payload that I haul is around 15-20 kgs. It was great to use during family cycling outings, carrying all the extra waterproofs, picnics and all the other stuff essential to a family day out that my townie wife and two children required. In her dotage one of my Lurcher bitches used to ride home on the trailer, after thoroughly knackering herself out on such trips. Jumping off and then back on again investigating interesting smells etc.
Biketrailer002.jpg

A side view of it. Note; when I originally designed and built the trailer, I chose "an over the Wheel" type drawbar that connects to a tow point on the bike's seat post. Most commercially available bike trailers have an off-set drawbar that connects to a tow point on the bike's rear wheel axle. As I use my trailer off road as much as on road, this high tow point seemed a very sensible idea to me.
[/img]
Biketrailer006.jpg

Two, 1 litre bottle holders fixed to the drawbars swan neck ... ... ... It's thirsty work hauling a bike trailer.
Biketrailer008.jpg
[/img]
A close up of the towing point. It's the end from the gas strut found on Agricultural telescopic handler bonnets. You will have a smaller version on the tailgate or hatchback of your car. It works in exactly the same way as a standard car 50mm towing ball.
Biketrailer007.jpg
[/img]
A closer view of the front. You can see the peeling paint, surface corrosion and rust.
Biketrailer009.jpg
[/img]
The view of the rear of my bike trailer. As you can see by the postion of the 3 reflectors, I like to be seen clearly by other traffic and road users.
Biketrailer001.jpg
[/img]

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I like the look of that, pretty heavy-duty. Reminds me I have loads of stuff to take to the recycling centre but have been too lazy to dig out my trailer recently, maybe next week.

I've got one that attaches to the seatpost, it's a cheap one I picked up for about £50 a few years ago- unsophisticated but it works for hauling stuff around locally. Your trailer looks very much better!

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Guru
A month on, and at last some progress !

A couple of photographs of the refurbishment work to date on my bicycle trailer frame as promised.

Taken from the front, right hand side corner looking towards the rear.
You can see the new; front and rear "Low level" cargo retention bars. These are to stop smaller loads slipping off the front or rear of the trailer. You can also see the new tube brazed to the drawbar fixing tube. This is for a stowable jack stand to keep everything horizontal when the trailer is parked and removed from the towing bicycle. The four new bungee retention eyes; One fitted to each quadrant just fore and aft of the wheels to stop the load holding elastic bungees slipping along the frame and then not securely holding the load.

biketrailerframerefurbishment002.jpg
[/img]

My bicycle trailer's frame from the right hand side rear, looking towards the front. You can see all of the new bits but from a different angle.
Ths photo will also allow you to appreciate how much work that I originally put into making this frame some 9 years ago.

biketrailerframerefurbishment001.jpg
[/img]

Later on today the wire wheel will be put onto my cordless angle grinder, and the rest of the paint, rust, and corrosion will be removed ready for the brush application of the Hammerite special primer.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Bungee-retention eyes! Now I've got a case of trailer envy.

I finally did get down to the dump this morning, and after that I returned a faulty dehumidifier to Homebase. My trailer's gone a bit rusty too, might be time for some Hammerite for that. I'll probably use it tomorrow to get a pumpkin home from the allotment.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Guru
Sorry about the delay, it has been an horrendously busy week.
Here are the photos of the new safety/security chain holder that I mig welded to the bike trailer's drawbar. The idea is that the trailer is then locked to the bike, which is desirable when parking up at the shops, or in the city, etc. although it will never be used as the primary security chain and lock. It will also act as a safety device should the coupling socket ever detatach itself whilst the trailer is being towed on the road etc.
Showing the new bit of chain, and the padlock as it will be, when attached to the bike. There is still another eye to be welded to the towing hook so that the padlock can be snapped locked on to the towing bicycle.
biketrailerdrawbar004.jpg
[/img]
This padlock has been permentatly assigned to the bike trailer, so the addition of a stowage postition for when the trailer is parked up at home or in storage seemed to be appropriate.
biketrailerdrawbar009.jpg
[/img]

Tharg2007

Veteran
this is great, looking forward to the next post!!
what sort of tubing did you use? also can we have some close up shots of how you attach the wheels to the frame?
is it heavy? are the mud guards fibreglass?

Blimey O'Reilly! That's a whole flock!

Careful they don't melt!

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Guru
Tharg2007 said:
this is great, looking forward to the next post!!
what sort of tubing did you use? also can we have some close up shots of how you attach the wheels to the frame?
is it heavy? are the mud guards fibreglass?

Hi Tharg,

I'll get the camera out again tomorrow evening, and fully answer your questions then.

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Guru
The specs of my home-made bike trailer are as follows:

Majority of the material used is 16 mm outside diameter steel hydraulic tubing. The drawbar socket tube is 22 mm outside diameter hydraulic tubing ...............the drawbar insert is 16 mm diameter round steel bar, and had to be turned down on a lathe at work so that it fits nicely inside the 22 mm tubing. The retractable parking stand is made from 15 mm hydraulic tubing, and slides easily into the 22 mm tubing. Cross braces for the corners are 20 mm X 3 mm mild steel, the wheel fixings are made from 5 mm thick mild steel plate. The cargo deck is made from 6 mm WBC exterior plywood, with two strips of 3 M, 100 mm wide none slip tape added.

Cargo deck 30 inches long X 18 inches wide.

Overall width to outside of the frame is 26 inches.

The mudguards have been made from 1 mm thick mild steel sheet MiG welded together, and have been coated with hot sprayed galvanising.

Overall unladen weight (before the latest modifications) was 22 lbs.(10 kg's); I expect the trailers unladen weight to be no greater than 25 lbs (12.5 kg's) when I have finished welding all of the new and modified bits to the frame.

The wheels 16 inches in diameter and are fitted with Schwalbe City Jet slick 16 X 1.9 tyres. I originally used a cheap pair of knobbly tyres, but these created an unacceptable amount of tyre friction and increased rolling resistance

The wheels centres have been set at about 2 inches to the rear of the centre line, to impose a load upon the drawbar and towing bicycle to prevent the trailer from nodding up and down around the wheel centre.

A close up of the wheel drop outs, including the additionally drilled hole for the saftey washers.

biketrailerwheeldropouts006.jpg

A close up of the frame's underside, showing the set back from the centre line, and the 4 welded in bosses for fixing the mudgaurds in place.

biketrailerwheeldropouts007.jpg

OP
OP
Gareth

Gareth

Guru
Your absolutely right.

I've been on and off this refurbishment for 6 weeks now. But working 50+ hours per week, having 3 minor ops on my right eye, a weekend away with friends, a lazy day with company, a passion for backgammon, owning a bird of prey, all the domestic chores involved with living alone, and getting side tracked on to other little projects has not helped me any.

Top Bottom