Register bike, good thing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Might be a stupid question but going to ask it anyway, I have a couple of decent bikes and have seen on here the various sites you can register them at. If I do register them what are the benefits, and do I have to give my address? Surely if I'm putting details of two good bikes and my address on the Internet it leaves me wide open to thieves/hackers to come round and help themselves?

soulful dog

Veteran
You'd obviously register your address, but that information wouldn't be available to anyone other than the company you are using to register your bike. The benefits are that a) you'll have a visual deterrent on your bike in the form of ID tags (a thief is likely to take the easier option and nick the bike without any registration ID), and b) if your bike is stolen, it should be easier to trace because it's been registered.

OP
OP
Broughtonblue
You'd obviously register your address, but that information wouldn't be available to anyone other than the company you are using to register your bike. The benefits are that a) you'll have a visual deterrent on your bike in the form of ID tags (a thief is likely to take the easier option and nick the bike without any registration ID), and b) if your bike is stolen, it should be easier to trace because it's been registered.
I didnt realise you got tags to place on your bike, are they a sticker? My fears about information getting in to the wrong hands is borne out because of previous 'hacks' on ps3, hotmail and Facebook accounts, just a bit worried I would be handing a thief a luxury haul!

D

Deleted member 1258

I use Immobilise.com, the UK property register, and have two of my bikes registered on there, details and pictures. If I have a bike stolen I can flag it up on the web site as well as informing the Police, that means anybody checking the site can see the bikes been stolen.

http://www.immobilise.com/about.html

Top Bottom