Reinforcing my prejudice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Wasn't it a "cognitive" short-cut which wasn't (in this case) a mistake?

His self admitted general prejudice is the cognitive mistake, he states his reasons for the prejudice (cyclist filtering, road position and presence of a camera) in the OP. But perhaps he just hasn't let us know about the other times that the presence of a filtering cyclist with a camera has resulted in no incident occurring.

Later on although he used the word prejudice to describe himself in the OP he lists some statements that seems to indicate he has no prejudice at all, in fact he pretty much states he is not prejudiced and then that he is prejudiced in the same post. He even states that in the OP that his prejudice was "reinforced" by this event and then later states that he will not be "extrapolating this experience to make wider predictions."

The level of cognitive dissonance is quite remarkable.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
His self admitted general prejudice is the cognitive mistake, he states his reasons for the prejudice (cyclist filtering, road position and presence of a camera) in the OP. But perhaps he just hasn't let us know about the other times that the presence of a filtering cyclist with a camera has resulted in no incident occurring.

Later on although he used the word prejudice to describe himself in the OP he lists some statements that seems to indicate he has no prejudice at all, in fact he pretty much states he is not prejudiced and then that he is prejudiced in the same post. He even states that in the OP that his prejudice was "reinforced" by this event and then later states that he will not be "extrapolating this experience to make wider predictions."

The level of cognitive dissonance is quite remarkable.
Golly, you're taking this very seriously aren't you? It's just a silly little story about something that happened on the way to work.

I concentrate on what keeps me safe. Who/what poses the biggest threat to me? Where are they now? Where will they be? Have they seen me?

A cyclist who is ahead of me is virtually no threat. I have more important things to worry about - vehicles behind and alongside me. Vehicles manoeuvring ahead. Road hazards ahead.

Going around making snap judgements on appearance, and planning to race other cyclists and "'ave them on the dual carriageway" is not on my to-do list.

There is also the fact that people ignore things, or rather make them a low priority

A couple of weeks ago one of the girls at work complained I hadn't waved back.

She had been on the pavement on the other side of the road, so therefore not a priority. I had realised thatthere was a pedestrian there, but been more interested in the traffic at the junction, so I had not noticed the waving

Profpointy

Legendary Member
There is also the fact that people ignore things, or rather make them a low priority

A couple of weeks ago one of the girls at work complained I hadn't waved back.

She had been on the pavement on the other side of the road, so therefore not a priority. I had realised thatthere was a pedestrian there, but been more interested in the traffic at the junction, so I had not noticed the waving

There's the story about Thomas Beecham, the conductor, being harruanged by Lady Such-and-Such for ignoring her twice the previous week. "Did I? I'm terribly sorry" says Sir Thomas, "I only saw you the once"

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
would that be Schrodinger's joke?
Yes and no.

donnydave

Über Member
No, this is a thread about how I made a prediction which turned out to be correct, therefore I am super awesome.

in connection to this and the "av him" comment - my wife and I have developed a driving rule which we abide by which is if the car in front shows just one tiny sniff of being indecisive, or slow, or reluctant to make progress, wind up the warp drive and overtake them at the next opportunity. Especially if you detect the frizzy halo of a perm around the drivers head. In the vast majority of cases we never see them ever again as they melt into the distance and it normally works out beneficial to the progress of our own journey.

.......... prepare for inbound outrage

Lonestar

Veteran
That's funny.Recently I've been concentrating on the biggest threats.I.E motorist fiddling with mobile and attempting an illegal right turn on my left then a pedestrian steps in my path from the right...Little kid with his trailer thing looking like he was going to walk into the CS 3 with his mum and sister a little way behind.He looked the biggest threat on the CS 3 then suddenly his sister makes a dash for my front wheel.

Sometimes the biggest looking threats lead to a false sense of security meaning it looks like I've got this situation sussed.

Top Bottom