Removing Gears?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
I have a Kona Dew Plus Hybrid that has way more gears than I ever use - 3 at the front and 8 at the back. I don't believe I have ever used the little ring on the front, and probably only use 5 at the back - the lowest rear gear is particularly massive and obviously designed for going up the side of buildings or something.

So would it be possible and indeed advantageous to remove these unused gears? I'm guessing the weight loss would be minimal, but I feel it'll make the bike look a little nicer and elegant, however would there be disadvantages? And what kind of work would it involve?

colinr

I'm pretty sure you'd need a new chainring / cassette and it would be more time and money than it's worth. Sounds more like you need another bike, fixed perhaps? :ohmy:

gwhite

Über Member
Jezston said:
I have a Kona Dew Plus Hybrid that has way more gears than I ever use - 3 at the front and 8 at the back. I don't believe I have ever used the little ring on the front, and probably only use 5 at the back - the lowest rear gear is particularly massive and obviously designed for going up the side of buildings or something.

So would it be possible and indeed advantageous to remove these unused gears? I'm guessing the weight loss would be minimal, but I feel it'll make the bike look a little nicer and elegant, however would there be disadvantages? And what kind of work would it involve?

I'd be prepared to do this job for you if you would agree to swap legs with me.:ohmy:

jimboalee

I've just bought an MTB and converted it to a road Hybrid.

It has 42/34/24 and 11 - 32 8 speed.

I am going to use the low gears VERY rarely, but not thinking of removing them.

I had thought of a 12 - 23 cassette to bunch the top ratios up and increase the lower ratios. It would give me 1 more ratio to play with and the top end gears would be 6" apart rather than the 12" at present.

The 12 - 23 cassette is £19.

I've been riding the OE gearing for less than a week and not had any gripes with the 12" steps ( 56, 68, 78 and 92 to be precise ) as yet :ohmy:

RedBike

I ride a Kona 2-9 MTB which is fundimentally identical to your bike except it only has the one gear. - Single speed.

I'm about to buy a Kona Smoke (Arrives next week!), which is the same again, except it has gears and doesn't have discs. I'm planning on making the Smoke very roadie by switching the O/E supplied cassette to a close ratio 9spd 11-23 cassette, (as well as changing over the shifters/tyres to match). It isn't really economical to make these changes but they're parts I already have.

The next time you need a new chain and cassette the I would look at fitting a smaller 'road' cassette instead of the 11-32? you currently have. It isn't really worth rushing out and buying one now if your existing drivechain has plenty of life still left in it though.

Davidc

Guru
I hardly ever use the large chainrings on either of my bikes, but wouldn't bother taking them off.

What I will do is look next time I need to replace them at whether I can get a 2 ring chainset with the same small ring and a large one just a bit bigger than the middle ones. It would make setting up the gears a little easier, decrease the angle the chain bends through, and look a bit neater. Not all that bothered though.

Probably give the idea up on cost grounds when I get there.

I can only suggest you need to explore Nottingham a bit more Jezston, perhaps starting with the Mapperley and Gedling areas. :biggrin:

Top Bottom