Rental e-scooters to become legal from Saturday.

tom73

Veteran
But with a few conditions.
No pavement use only roads, you must have full or provisional car, motorcycle or moped licence and be over 16 .Limited to 15.5mph and it is recommended that riders wear helmets and private e-scooters remain illegal on off private land.
The trial will run for 12 months with local authorities applying to be part of it.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53219331

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It means nothing really counting the many leccy scooter riders I see on my daily commute.

fido

Veteran
I'm not entirely sure what the objections to them are to be honest. As other have said, I've seen a fair few about and they don't seem to cause an issue for others around them. Just seem like a nifty little way of getting from A to B.

I've had a little go on one and reckon you're as likely to crash in to someone whilst out for a run as on one of these. Happy to concede that there may be problems I've overlooked.

spen666

Guru
But with a few conditions.
No pavement use only roads, you must have full or provisional car, motorcycle or moped licence and be over 16 .Limited to 15.5mph and it is recommended that riders wear helmets and private e-scooters remain illegal on off private land.
The trial will run for 12 months with local authorities applying to be part of it.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53219331
How are they going to know without stopping every scooter if they are private or rented?

similarily how are they going to know if rider has licence or not without stopping every rider

Bit of a silly relaxation of the law. Should either relax totally existing law or enforce existing law

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
I'm not entirely sure what the objections to them are to be honest. As other have said, I've seen a fair few about and they don't seem to cause an issue for others around them. Just seem like a nifty little way of getting from A to B.

I've had a little go on one and reckon you're as likely to crash in to someone whilst out for a run as on one of these. Happy to concede that there may be problems I've overlooked.
I have no issues in theory. Although it is concerning how they might fare against a pot hole when the rider is going along looking at their mobile phone.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just pot holes generally. If you miss one, you are paying a visit to the dentist. We've all missed holes on roads on our bikes.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Those tiny wheels though. I have missed pot holes on my bike and had a painful jolt. Miss one on these and you are almost certainly hitting the deck.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Does anyone rent an electric scooter? Can one? Surely if one is minded to give this electric scooter thing a whirl one buys one, doesn't one?

Basic civil service approach to anything new: say no. Then if that doesn't work, give ground gracelessly, stupidly, and with zero consideration for the actual merits or demerits of the innovation.

dodgy

Legendary Member
Does anyone rent an electric scooter? Can one? Surely if one is minded to give this electric scooter thing a whirl one buys one, doesn't one?
Yes
Yes
You can buy bikes, but people also rent.
You can buy cars, but people also rent.

I’ve rented a bike before even though I have plenty of my own. Handy in a new town on a visit.

Top Bottom