Rent'N'Ride not doing so well up my way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LLB

Took this pic yesterday in Cheltenham :smile:. I think the take up on them is fairly poor, and they are poorly protected when parked up even though they are parked right under one of the towns CCTV cameras.

I think that the styling leaves so much to be desired, they will continue to struggle.

The local CTC were pushing them hard on bike week when they had a stand on the high st, but they are a bit too fugly ;)

dodgy

Look at the pretzled wheel on that! In fact, 2 of those bikes look like they have buckles!

Dave.

OP
OP
L

LLB

The black post in front of the passing car is where the CCTV is mounted, and yes the wheels are buggered on both bikes.

I would like to think that the venture is privately funded as it will be a scandal if taxpayers money is being spent on this folly !

OP
OP
L

LLB

The CTC guy was telling me how sturdy they have been built when they had bike week - obviously not sturdy enough :smile:

domtyler

Über Member
These kind of schemes always perform brilliantly on paper but terribly in the real world, which is why if they had any sense, they would leave them on the drawing board where they belong.

OP
OP
L

LLB

zimzum42 said:
Who comes up with such crap implementation of what could be a good scheme?

The positively discriminated for one legged ethnic lesbian (single mother) diversity officer ? (or spindrifts oppo in the town :smile: )

OP
OP
L

LLB

zimzum42 said:
Spindrift/plebsayer would have us all riding fairtrade chocolate bicycles

:smile:

MartinC

Über Member
Must admit that when I saw these appear in town I wondered:

- what the target market was

- how long it would be before they were vandalised.

Well, we know the answer to the second question.

I could see it working between the various university campuses in town but not in general. Shame really, just create more ammunition for the people who like to whinge about these things.

OP
OP
L

LLB

MartinC said:
Must admit that when I saw these appear in town I wondered:

- what the target market was

- how long it would be before they were vandalised.

Well, we know the answer to the second question.

I could see it working between the various university campuses in town but not in general. Shame really, just create more ammunition for the people who like to whinge about these things.

If it is done with public money, I think people have a right to voice their concerns (don't you?). If it had been thought out properly, the risk of vandalism, would be less of an issue, but as it is, it will be what they will be known for before they are withdrawn in a year or so, and the Echo will decry the population for not getting behind them, and try and send us all on another guilt trip for not saving the planet hard enough.

Anyway Students are fickle and vain, and it is obvious that they aren't going to want to be seen riding one of them by their mates. They look like the the bike which the wicked witch of the east rode in the Wizard of Oz.

MartinC

Über Member
Linf - I really meant those who like to whinge about any provision of cycle facilities in general!

AFAIK there was no public money involved but not sure.

OP
OP
L

LLB

MartinC said:
Linf - I really meant those who like to whinge about any provision of cycle facilities in general!

AFAIK there was no public money involved but not sure.

As far as I'm concerned, they can rip out all the cycle lanes, and spend the money on decent secure facilities so I can lock up my bike in town and feel confident that it will still look and ride the same when I return to it. I have zero confidence to lock it up anywhere on the high street ;)

What they really need is a few secure cages around the town which people buy a smart card for (maybe £5 per month), and anchor points or secure smart card controlled bays inside so they don't have to carry locks.

This technology has been available for years in hotels, so why not use it in this situation.

The cages could be made to look pretty, we have loads of local wrought iron workers who could do the business with them (my mates company did the new railings in montpellier gardens last year), and they could be made a feature on the pedestrianised parts of the town centre.

Then those who do have nice bike will have the confidence to use them for running around in the town as well as rideouts.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
One of the things with hire schemes is that they're hugely dependent on the perception of cycling by the population that's (supposedly) going to use them.

I'd suggest that this is why such schemes work on the continent, where, in general, drivers are far more aware of, and courteous to cyclists in general, and where the idea of doing short trips on a bike isn't "weird and scary" for the majority. Hire schemes are probably going to be a useful part of reducing car use in cities, but they're one of the later pieces in the jigsaw, it seems to me, rather than an early step.

Top Bottom