replace my helmet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dudi

Just a quickie,
how do you tell if your helmet needs replacing?

I won't go into the details of why i am concerned by it, as it's rather embarrasing.

But how do you tell if your helmet is compromised after an impact?

I can see no damage, the shell seems robust still and there are no signs of weekness... is there a test I can do to see if i ought to replace?

thanks

No one offer advice until he tells us what happened. :biggrin:

OP
OP
dudi

dudi

hmm, I reckon i'd better get a new one as soonas i can then.

having slept on it i ought to share it... story is this...

cycling down a fast road, in the bus lane, minding my own business at a good pace. all of a sudden and out of nowhere a line of slow moving traffic jumps out of a hedge right in front of me. I manage to slow down enough to miss them, providing that they keep going the same speed they are. no.... mr white transit van slams on the brakes and stops on a sixpence. I hit the back of him, straight on, and "endo" my bike in the impact. I headbut the rear doors of the van and then straight back down on to the wheels... I didn't come off somehow.

The van driver didn't stop and I just walked to the pavement, checked the bike over and it was fine, checked myself over ad I seemed fine. so i just carried on into work.

walker

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
If you bashed it you need a new one. Even if if was dangling from your bars and the bike fell over.

Bash it. Replace it. End of.

Is this true? I know it is with regards to motorcycle lids but is it the same for cycle helmets? they are only polystyrene after all

Tynan

Veteran
if you're thinking about it then you've answered your question I suggest

that line of traffic sounds nasty

yello

Tynan said:
if you're thinking about it then you've answered your question I suggest

Yep, I'd agree. Little point in wearing something you're not sure of or have no confidence in.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
walker said:
Is this true? I know it is with regards to motorcycle lids but is it the same for cycle helmets? they are only polystyrene after all

As I understand it, the polystyrene absorbs the impact by compressing, breaking and deforming. A helmet that's in an accident has less capability to do that, I'd have thought, because some of that possible deformation (if not all) has already happened.

OP
OP
dudi

dudi

so any recommendations for a new lid? at the moment i use a Giro indicator... or something like that.

I dont like visors and i get quite a hot head, so i need something with good vents.

Top Bottom