Replacement chainset / chainwheels Trek 7.3 FX

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gixxerman

Guru
I am looking to replace the chainset / chainwheels on my 2009 Trek 7.3 FX.
The original set is a Shimano M361 with 48/38/28 chainwheels.
The standard rear cassette is a Shimano HG40 11-32 8 speed.
I would like to keep the gearing the same.
Rear mech is Shimano Deore.
I can get a cassette with no problems from Wiggle / Chain Reaction, but I cannot find a suitable replacement chainset / chainwheels anywhere.
I would like to try to keep everything Shimano if possible.
Can anyone suggest what to get and where from?

Thanks.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Even if I think I've figured out what I need I normally check in at my LBS to verify.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I'd have thought any chainset with the same number of teeth as you already have on each ring would fit, especially if you go for Shimano again. But why change the chainset? You can get new chain rings from many places (Spa Cycles Stronglight range are good). Just make sure you get the right BCD and make them aware it is a four bolt fixing (if yours is like my son's). Phone them if you're not sure, they are very helpful.

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
You can get chainwheels from many places I agree - just not comparable ones to the ones I currently have. They are either the right number of teeth but are 9/10 speed, or the correct 8 speed, but the wrong number of teeth.
Wiggle / Chain Reaction certainly don't have any that match.

I am not bothered about the quality as long as it is at least as good or better than what I have now.

I have found a M191 crankset on Chain Rection that has the correct chainwheels on it. It is a bargain at £8 as well (reduced from £30), but it is the standard fitment to a 7.2 FX and therefore lower quality than the one I have now and therefore no good.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I was going to suggest that M191....
but if you want to keep square taper and keep that kind of gearing your best option is a Stonglight Impact Triple £60 at Ribble IIRC
That kind of gearing falls between what Shimano consider as "Road" and what they think of as "MTB" so your choices are limited.

Don't worry about putting a "9 speed" chainset on. It will work just fine with 8 speed chain. It's the other way around you'd have problems.

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
porkypete said:
That kind of gearing falls between what Shimano consider as "Road" and what they think of as "MTB" so your choices are limited.

Well that makes sense as the bike is a hybrid so I would expect the gearing to fall between "road" and "MTB". So if Shimano make the components for Trek to make a hybrid bike, why can't I buy hybrid bike type spares?

PpPete

Legendary Member
You can.
Just the choice is more limited especially with the big volume retailers, I guess because few hybrid users do enough mileage to ever warrant replacing chainset. Maybe many of those that do (get the mileage up) then buy a "road" bike as well.... and fall for the myth that you "need" a 50 or 52 big ring.

No doubt an LBS can order in a M361 (or a later equivalent) with 48/38/28 chainwheels for you.

If you want to buy online the Impact Triple is a good choice because individual replacement 5 bolt chainrings seem more widely available than 4 bolt.

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
porkypete said:
Don't worry about putting a "9 speed" chainset on. It will work just fine with 8 speed chain. It's the other way around you'd have problems.

So I could stay with the standard HG40 8 speed cassette and chain?
What is the Impact triple is good quality then?
How does the Impact compare with the Shimano in terms of quality?
Dose it jave the same BB fitment?
Will I need to change the BB as well?

PpPete

Legendary Member
So I could stay with the standard HG40 8 speed cassette and chain?
Yes

Does it have the same BB fitment?
If the existing one is square taper, and I think the M361 is square taper - then yes. But please take your existing crank off and have a look to check before you order anything. Post a photo on here if you are not sure.

Will I need to change the BB as well? If same fitting - then no, unless your BB is worn out.

As for the quality... How do you define good?
There are certainly better quality chainsets than the Impact....
But I can't think of any that will provide your gearing for the same money.

If you want to spend more, have a look at Stronglight Speedlight (from Spa with whatever rings you want) or TA, where you can customise all the parts.

Top Bottom