Replacement dérailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Porcia

I need to replace my Shimano RD2300 dérailleur as it's making rattling noises and The pantograph pins also seem to be worn, and it's not reliable changing down.
I was wondering if I can replace it with a Shimano Claris mech.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Are you sure it needs replacing, rather than simply adjusting and a new cable?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
If it's the derailleur a Claris one will fit fine; I've mixed/matched 2300 and Claris parts on more than one bike. Any 5-8 speed derailleur with the same cage length that's bolt-on will fit for info.

OP
OP
Porcia

Porcia

It's had a complete new drive train chain / cassette and as I said the pins holding the pantograph are worn, so the mech is slopy.

OP
OP
Porcia

Porcia

If it's the derailleur a Claris one will fit fine; I've mixed/matched 2300 and Claris parts on more than one bike. Any 5-8 speed derailleur with the same cage length that's bolt-on will fit for info.
Thank you. It's on a specialized Allez and I notice the latest Allez uses the Claris and as it had a new chain/cassette and still problematic I thought a new Derailleur why spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar.

I bought a road bike that was claimed to have 2300 but when I got it the rear derailleur was Claris out of the box but the brifters were 2300. You can buy a Shimano road rear derailleur from 6 speed to 10 speed that has a 1.7 movement ratio so you could if you wanted use a Sora, Tiagra or even 10 speed 105 rear derailleur. The pull ratio in the brifters may be different but the actual movement of the rear derailleur is all set at 1.7.

Might be worth removing and checking the current derailleur and perhaps checking it can't be repaired but considering I think they stopped selling them officially in 2013 in could be quite old and well worn. Although I'm sure pockets of old stock seems to often survive sometimes 3 years or more after that.

Top Bottom