Replacement for slick tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Redvers

Hi
I have an old Marin mountain bike fitted with Alexrims TA 19 rims and WTB Slickasaurus 1.5/38/32 tyres.

These days I use the bike as a winter tourer mostly on tarmac but in narrow lanes with a lot of tree and hedgerow debris. Thorns being the main puncture risk.

The tyres are coming to the end of their life now and I would like to replace them with a higher quality, slimmer, slick type tyre.

Can any one advise on what would be the slimmest size of tyre that I could fit to the Alexrims and recommend a good quality, high puncture resistant tyre.

I use these on my Cannondale Badboy. Highly recommend them. No punctures so far after 300 miles.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Continental_Ultra_Gatorskin_MTB_Tyre/5360021704/

I belive your rims are 24.6mm wide so 1 1/8 inch tyres should fit fine

Tollers

p.s you might need new slimmer tubes too

OP
OP
Redvers

Redvers

Thanks for that Tollers.

I’m a big fan of Gatorskins for my road bike but I had no idea that they did an mtb version.

I thought 1.1/8 would be ok but it’s nice to have a second opinion.;)

wow - old thread revival alert...

I'm just trying and failing to fit some conti Sport Contacts to my fixed up mountain bike. They're going on ebay as if they're this hard to get on, they're going to be a PITA if I get a visitation in the winter.

What are the gatorskins like for fitting - any easier? And if they are a pig - anyone got any other recommendations?

Top Bottom