Replacing a boardman wheel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

megamega

Hi, i have owned a boardman hybrid comp now for 3 years and ride it 6 days a week. Noticed that the back wheel was buckled and as i came to true it i noticed that one of the spokes was loose. It was loose because where the spoke goes into the rim the metal had broken away and so there is no rim left for the spoke to attach to. i am now trying to find a replacement rear wheel. My question is what do i look for as this has a disc brake. Is there anything special i should be looking for, are all wheels with disc brakes equal spacing between the centre of the wheel and the disc? There are 6 bolts 32 spokes and its a 25 mm rim. i have replaced most things on a bike but never a wheel. Finding actual spares for boardmans seems to be impossible. thanks for any replies. Andy

smithy92

Hi Andy, go into your local halfords and they can look up the replacement wheel, if you deem it too expensive ask them for the part number and search for it online. As all they do is order it from a supplier, so you may be able to source it cheaper (i.e without halfords mark up on it).
Hope this helps!

OP
OP
M

megamega

Hi Smith92, took the wheel in and they had not seen anything like it before. Waited for about 15 minutes for him to find a wheel that would suit but was way too expensive, i could have walked out with a new carrera. he stated that they didn't do boardman specific spares. he was young but very helpfull, but i find it strange he could find only 1 replacement. maybe i just need to go into a few of the halfords see what the census is. i have done about 200 miles on it since i noticed it and trued it up best i can except for where the missing spoke is. Does anyone else ride with a spoke missing or am i just tempting fate. thanks

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Forget Halfords and consult your LBS. It doesn't have to be a specific 'boardman' wheel. The current Comp has Alex DP17 Disc wheels according to the Boardman website - CRC sell them for around £95 (pair). I would think there are a lot of 26" wheels available that would be suitable.

henshaw11

If you can find the exact rim (or at least one that requires the same spoke lengths) and fancy a bit of a challenge, you could try replacing the rim yourself. Tape the new rim to the old, then move the spokes over in turn (that way you don't wind up with a piles of spokes and no idea how they're supposed to lace. You can use the rear triangle of frame as a truing jig. It's a bit of a fiddle but I've done it on one wheel myself...tho' to be fair, it's on one side as a spare so I've not ridden it since ! There's some guides on the web on retruing wheels...

BigTone0777

I'm having the same prob as you, it's difficult to find 700c disc compatible road wheels. I had one ordered from my LBS which was a Mavic A317 laced onto a deore hub with DT Swiss spokes but they are out of stock with the supplier and gonna take weeks so I'm gonna try these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-Fit-d...I&ps=63&clkid=434178947667928608#ht_757wt_905

albion

Guru
It seems sensible just to buy a 32 spoke 25 mm rim and DIY.And I'm sure any decent bike shop can fir a new rim for you, though some may frown on you for buying a Boardman.

Could it just use a standard Mavic A319?

wesa

I had the exact same problem a couple of weeks ago.
I had trouble finding a 700c wheel for disc brakes. In the end I spoke to the LBS and they sorted me out with a Trek wheel based on a Bontrager rim. I can't remember the exact spec although I was able to look it up on line, Evans I think - I can look if up if you are interested.
It came in at about £120, they did offer cheaper wheels but being on the large side and carrying panneirs I wanted something strong.

Top Bottom