Replacing cycle helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I heard an argument that 3 years was the magic number because of UV. Given all the variables I have one that is maybe 12 years old because I don't necessarily buy into many of the theories people come up with. I have a newer one too which I only use when on my MTB playing silly buggers.

My chainsaw lid has a little recessed button which changes colour on exposure to UV. Bike helmet manufacturers should do the same if it mattered.

Last edited:

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Newer helmets with say MPS technology may be marginally safer, stronger, offer more protection.

How old is this bin?

I`ve got a few lids (different colour schemes - as you do!) and I don`t think any one of them is less than 5-6 years old, I don`t worry about it

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Newer helmets with say MPS technology may be marginally safer, stronger, offer more protection.
And yet, none publish evidence to substantiate any such claim. All you can count on is the bog standard drop tests.

To answer the op: check your helmet manual. If you don't still have it, find a copy online for most brands.

winjim

Smash the cistern
And yet, none publish evidence to substantiate any such claim. All you can count on is the bog standard drop tests.
I wonder if anybody actually routinely tests their helmets after the stated cutoff period (Quality of EN1078 testing notwithstanding). I rather suspect that the cutoff's there not because they have shown that the helmet degrades, rather that they haven't shown that it doesn't.

I wonder if anybody actually routinely tests their helmets after the stated cutoff period (Quality of EN1078 testing notwithstanding). I rather suspect that the cutoff's there not because they have shown that the helmet degrades, rather that they haven't shown that it doesn't.
Plus it sells more helmets, so why would they test it?

Any figure in the form "X years" is clearly nonsense. Helmets don't age on the shelf - if they did, they could print a use by date on the compliance label and it would be simple. It's UV rays and sweat that might cause them to degrade. And it seems likely that a transcontinental racer would expose a helmet to more sweat and UV in 2 weeks than a London commuter might in 10 years.

winjim

Smash the cistern

Any figure in the form "X years" is clearly nonsense. Helmets don't age on the shelf - if they did, they could print a use by date on the compliance label and it would be simple. It's UV rays and sweat that might cause them to degrade. And it seems likely that a transcontinental racer would expose a helmet to more sweat and UV in 2 weeks than a London commuter might in 10 years.
They do put stickers with the date of manufacture in the helmets though, which could amount to the same thing.

Tom B

Guru

Exactly what I was thinking, it's a bit of a how long is s peice of string question. My helmet is used 20hours a week and is stored in a dark cellar or bike shed, but my mates is used 3 hours a week but lives in the conservatory.

I'd never thought of replacing mine based on time, just when it's worn/melted/been clattered across the floor a few times. (yes I know one impact should see it replaced)

I work on the "owts better than nowt" principle.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Just had a bit of a look. The Specialized helmet user manual refers to guidance from the Snell foundation, which recommends replacement every five years. Snell say that the five year figure was reached as a consensus between themselves and the helmet manufacturers:

The Snell Foundation said:
The five-year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five-year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five-year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.
So about five years at a bit of a rough guess. I would think they're probably being rather conservative. Interestingly no mention of the effects of UV radiation, which makes me think that's probably a bit of a blue herring. Also interesting that they consider advancement in technology over five years to be a reason for replacement. I suspect that the manufacturers had some input into that bit.

ozboz

Guru
If your helmet is still servicesble there is a way to get a bargain,
Register with Shpock , I have just picked up. Bluegrass £80 hat for £10 , and its never neen worn ,

Top Bottom