Replacing front rings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Replace your chain more often and your chainrings will last *indefinitely*, as will your cassette. Had my chainrings on since 1995.

gbb

Legendary Member
There is no rule of thumb IMO.
My Raleigh with an Ofmega chainset and Sora cassette had done circa 3 or 4000 miles on all the original equipment.
I changed the chain and left the cassette and chainrings. It still works well, allthough there is some wear evident in the chainrings.
The cassette looks absolutely fine.

In your case MP, if you've done the chain AND cassette, i think i'd do the chainring as well. If its not sitting properly in the teeth, you're just going to shorten the life of the new chain.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You will get away with chain ring wear much better than rear sprocket wear - unless they look like shark fins then keep them... Just on my 3rd set of chain rings on a 22 year old crank set - training bike !!!!

gbb

Legendary Member
I guess it's down to how much you do, or dont want to, spend £15 (ish).

Spend it and you will benefit.(but you may not even notice the difference)
Dont... your chain wont last as long .(but you may not even notice the difference)

There is no clear answer.
Do you want to feel happy and spend £15.
Do you want to feel unhappy, and spend £15.....

The choice is yours. :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
When buying chainrings, do search about a bit.....

Ribble are priced well with Stronglight's Dural and Zircal rings for road bikes - dural is 6000 series, zircal 7000 series alloy and better, but a good price and look well finished. The dural ones are fine - been using them on my training bike for years, but not as 'pretty'.

Just got a really good MTB outer ring - 110 BCD from chainreaction - Blackspire 7075 alloy, ramped etc, and just £15....

Smokin Joe said:
Rings are aluminium (soft). Chains are steel (hard).

Worn rings won't wear the chain.

These are steel (and have got a lot of miles on them over the past 9 - 10 years)
2008_0429TREK7000003.jpg

and so are these
2008_0429TREK7000001.jpg

infact, in 60+ years of cycling I've not used aluminium rings yet ;).

Aw c'mon :sad:. I'm trying - I removed this
2008_0506Trek7000001.jpg

and replaced it with these bits
2008_0514TREK0001.jpg

OK it's not really an Ahead set - but it looks like one (that's the Luddite bit dealt with) and it must have cost me all of £16.00 in parts + I fitted a new headset that cost another tenner (that's the tight arse bit sorted) ;).

Top Bottom