replica jersey snobbery?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David_widnes

Veteran
Hello Everyone.

Is it frowned upon to be seen wearing a replica cycling team jersey.

Ive set my sights on a replica of the world champions rainbow jersey but im sure i read somewhere or even might have pick it up during commentary on the cycling programme on eurosport that its frowned upon by hardcore cyclists.

Views????

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
wear what you like, ride what you like, enjoy :becool:

Glover Fan

+1 I've just bought the 2011 team katusha bib shorts and jersey. Focus provide their bikes and it just so happens the kit colors match that of my bike. I've also got some 2009 edition Astana shorts that I picked up for a bargain at the end of season.

amaferanga

Veteran
Team jerseys yes. And of course you can wear the world champion jersey if you want to, but many cyclists (myself included) think that when it comes to world champ / national champ jerseys you should only wear them if you've earned them.

Still if you like it then wear it. But expect the loser wanabe-racers to single you out for their sad pretend racing....

C

chillyuk

I agree with the others, it's a free country, wear what YOU like. However I wouldn't wear team colours unless I could ride like a member of that team. I would feel a bit of a prat in all the recognisable kit and puffing along at 15 mph.

I have ordered one of these which is more appropriate for me and a bit of fun.

I normally go with the Sports Direct Karrimor stuff, not sure if it makes me cycle any faster or not, did try a Next top once (reduced of course, in the sale) but it did not make a blind bit of difference to my speed. I just enjoy cycling :-))

Brian

festival

Über Member
If you like it then wear it.

A few years ago when you had only had club racing cyclists or CTC types most if not all club kit was a bit basic and naff, anyone who could get their hands on exotic foreign kit was to be envied. Then the 'pro team' kits became available and they were everywhere. The fashion police would of had a field day as riders wore different team cap, jersey, shorts and mitts none of which matched.

Eventually club/local team kit & quality plain kit became readily available and nowadays there is no excuse not to be stylishly attired and looking the business.
So much for the history lesson, as i said if you like it wear it, as long as it looks good on you and you have the kit to match.

zizou

Veteran
Wear what you want.

Wearing national team jerseys, world champ jerseys, grand tour leader jerseys etc tends to be looked down a bit by some but then really who cares what they think. Although in saying that i have polka dot jersey and do feel a bit self conscious wearing it at times - really makes me put in extra effort going up hills so i dont look daft struggling up at 3mph and wearing a kotm top :biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
champ coloured mitts is as far as I go, personally I think people in tdf type kit is a bit pomcey but I'm the conservative type

it's not like you can wear very poncey cycle kit in non team designs

Tynan

Veteran
I've lost track of how many posts I've read about people wearing King of the Mountains jerseys labouring up hills

Top Bottom