Rest to stay strong or rode to stay lean?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnny5

I took a day off from cycling yesterday as I was feeling tired dueto moving furniture around the house the day before. Anyway, I felt a bit guilty for not doing anything but felt pretty strong commuting to work this morning.

So, would you say it's better to rest a little more to make yourself stronger or train a bit more to help you get leaning and tougher?

OP
OP
J

Johnny5

BTW, sorry about the cr4p English in the subject line, it's suppose to be "ride" NOT "rode"...I'm sending this post via my mobile....stupid fat fingers!

I am Spartacus

Über Member
;) Is OP training to race?
Training blogs are only worth reading if you going all out to attain well above average levels of fitness.. otherwise as a beginner just get out on the bike and worry less.

OP
OP
J

Johnny5

I'm not training to race but training to be fast as I'm thinking of doing some duathlons next year. I run as well as cycle and I play football 2-3 times a week too.....it's hard to find the time to do everything but I try my best. I try and cycle at least 40-50 miles a week together with playing football 2-3 times and fit in a running session somewhere inbetween. Once the weather gets a bit crap then I'll probably do more running and cycle less.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Several times a year I go away for 2 week business trips overseas when I do no exercise at all and just eat and drink too much. When I get back I'm always amazed at how strong I feel. Two weeks may be a bit excessive though because the weight does begin to pile on, especially from drinking lots of African beer.

SimonC

Rigid Raider said:
Several times a year I go away for 2 week business trips overseas when I do no exercise at all and just eat and drink too much. When I get back I'm always amazed at how strong I feel. Two weeks may be a bit excessive though because the weight does begin to pile on, especially from drinking lots of African beer.

Off to Florida for three weeks, next week. On this basis, should be like 10 men when I get back (probably in weight!);)

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I'd suggest that you try to fit a very short journey into your routine in such circumstances - say a quick 2-5 miles - it keeps the lungs etc ticking over and doesn't overload already tired muscles.

Chrisz

Über Member
I find that a week off every now and then does me wonders for strength!

Some of my best TT times were set straight after a week off and I now find that if I take a week off after a couple of fairly intense weeks on the bike I feel much better - especially on the hills.

In short - recovery time is very important when trying to improve strength. The amount of rest time will depend on your personal fitness levels, work rates and general 'feeling' (I find that much more than a week off and I start getting panicy about not cycling!).

montage

God Almighty
three top tips for building fitness.

1.build the base (lots of miles)
2. build the base
3. rest

after you have a solid base you can do a little less resting and more intervals etc

blazed

220lb+
I say push yourself to the max every single day, just make sure you take in a lot of calories and you will end up ripped like me.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Ditch the football - nasty dangerous sport.

All my footie playing friends have had to have knee ops.

blazed said:
I say push yourself to the max every single day, just make sure you take in a lot of calories and you will end up ripped like me.
Bad advice - seriously bad. You need to rest at least one day a week. And at least one week in every year. Take a look at what the really top athletes are doing.

Top Bottom