Returning after being banned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
It's obvious that it's quite easy to return to the fold after being banned (I'm talking permanent bans here)

It's fairly obvious when someone does return, they jump straight into P+L, and already 'know the score' with other forum members etc...

I don't see how any normal member would jump straight into P+L, since everyone should be coming here to chat about cycling, the P+L thing should develop over time...

Could not something be done about this by restricting access to P+L until a member has made a certain number of posts in other fora, or perhaps after the member has been registered for a certain period of time?

The likes of Spinners would give themselves away no doubt as they are incapable of posting without invective, and this would stand out a mile in other fora

yello

I don't see the difference zim; P&L is one of the fora just like the rest. So they post shite in cafe before posting shite in P&L... or they post shite directly in P&L. It amounts to the same either way doesn't it?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
the problem with making new members post a certain amount before they can access other areas, is they will post a certain amount of gibberish all over the place before they can then run free in P&L

It could be argued a lot of members post a lot of gibberish anyway ;)

Trolls do reveal themselves quite quickly, and its pretty obvious which new members are trolling by where and what they post.

Zim If there is anyone you think may be trolling or suspect, report it. I suspect there are mods who will take direct action and ban them instantly.

jay clock

Massive member
It is quite simple. Go into the bits of the forum that talk about cycling. If you want an argument, go to the pub. If someone in the real cycling bits of the forum starts being an arse, close down the web browser and have a bike ride. When you come back, don't bother reading that thread.

You can choose which fora are searched on latest posts, and you can block individuals. I am here daily and cannot think who the problem is, so I must have avoided them quite successfully.

bonj2

In other words, simoncc liked this forum so much the possibility that he would just forget it is minimal, so let's have a witch hunt to find out who he is

Shaun

Founder
It is technically possible to limit access to forums based on number of posts, etc. however I think it's probably best just to report anyone you suspect of being previously banned and let me and the mods deal with it.

I assume this all ties-in with the Poll in P&L?

Cheers,
Shaun ;)

OP
OP
Z

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Admin said:
It is technically possible to limit access to forums based on number of posts, etc. however I think it's probably best just to report anyone you suspect of being previously banned and let me and the mods deal with it.

I assume this all ties-in with the Poll in P&L?

Cheers,
Shaun :smile:
It's pretty obvious that lech is Spindrift, so I reckon he ought to be removed...

Shaun

Founder
zimzum42 said:
It's pretty obvious that lech is Spindrift, so I reckon he ought to be removed...

Well, technically, no it isn't obvious at all. (The usual tests have already been done and prove that lech has no relationship with Spindrift at all - technically!!)

Posting style however is an altogether different, and less exact science, and primarily relies on experience and instinct.

For me to ban someone based on other people’s instincts I need to be properly convinced that we're not banning a new member who just happens to come across in a similar fashion to a previously banned one.

Believe me when I say that lech is well and truly on the radar and if me and the mods concur with your thoughts at some point in the future then a ban will ensue.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

bonj2

Admin said:
Well, technically, no it isn't obvious at all. (The usual tests have already been done and prove that lech has no relationship with Spindrift at all - technically!!)

<pedantic>
it doesn't prove that he has no relationship with him, at all - it simply DOESN'T prove that he HAS got a relationship with him
</pedantic>

OP
OP
Z

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Admin said:

Posting style however is an altogether different, and less exact science, and primarily relies on experience and instinct.

For me to ban someone based on other people’s instincts I need to be properly convinced that we're not banning a new member who just happens to come across in a similar fashion to a previously banned one.

Believe me when I say that lech is well and truly on the radar and if me and the mods concur with your thoughts at some point in the future then a ban will ensue.

Cheers,
Shaun :tongue:
His IP address or whatever may well be different, but a new member launching straight into P+L, posting huge tracts of cut and paste in exactly the same style and on exactly the same topics as Spinners used to, it seems patently obvious to me.....

Why would a new member launch straight into P+L with a polemic about the policing of the G20? I admire your desire to see the best in everyone, but it's obvious that lech is Spinners. In interests of fairness, it's obvious that very-near is LLB, and I can't remember the moniker, but SimonCC is clearly on here somewhere too. If a ban is a ban, then something ought to be done.
I got banned for a weekend, fair enough, but I didn't log on as someone else and start posting carp...

zimzum42 said:
SimonCC is clearly on here somewhere too.

Yes I rather think he is but playing different characters, one I think has been rumbled and not since appeared and I'm kinda suspicious of another.

Shaun

Founder
zimzum42 said:
His IP address or whatever may well be different, but a new member launching straight into P+L, posting huge tracts of cut and paste in exactly the same style and on exactly the same topics as Spinners used to, it seems patently obvious to me.....

Why would a new member launch straight into P+L with a polemic about the policing of the G20? I admire your desire to see the best in everyone, but it's obvious that lech is Spinners. In interests of fairness, it's obvious that very-near is LLB, and I can't remember the moniker, but SimonCC is clearly on here somewhere too. If a ban is a ban, then something ought to be done.
I got banned for a weekend, fair enough, but I didn't log on as someone else and start posting carp...

Yes, which is why I said:

admin said:

From my point of view, I want to know that if I ban someone I am doing so with at least a reasonably amount of surity that it is the previously banned user.

If this proves to be the case with lech, then eventually it will become evident and action will be taken.

Consideration must also be given to the idea though, that some people can return to CC after a previous ban - unbeknownst to the general membership (and even me and the mods) - and get along with everyone just fine.

I know what you're saying; if it looks like a Spindrift, posts like a Spindrift, and spends all it's time in P&L like a Spindrift - then it must surely be a Spindrift?

That's entirely possible, but I just want to be sure.

Cheers,
Shaun :tongue:

Top Bottom