Rex Mundi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I've started reading The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail, which is all about Cathars, Knights Templars, and the secret the Catholic Church doesn't want us to know regarding the crucifixion. It's all very Umberto Eco and Dan Brown. Anyway, I wish I'd read it before because Rex Mundi would have made a brilliant forum name. It's Latin for King of the World, and it was a term the Cathars used to describe the evil god, or is it The Devil, who made the material world. I suppose I'll just have to start a band. I wonder what type of music Rex Mundi would play.

asterix

Comrade Member
It'd be retro with Moog synthesizers and some organ bits.

brockers

It's all very Umberto Eco and Dan Brown.

I think you'll find Dan Brown was all very Holy Blood, Holy Grail ! Sir wotsisname Teabing of Da Vinci fame is an anagram and possible hommage to Michael Baigent, who knocked up HBHG.

Christianity conspiracy theories are fantastic money-spinners. If you want to make some serious dosh, I'd start working on the next one now and look to release it in ten or fifteen years time.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I think you'll find Dan Brown was all very Holy Blood, Holy Grail ! Sir wotsisname Teabing of Da Vinci fame is an anagram and possible hommage to Michael Baigent, who knocked up HBHG.

Christianity conspiracy theories are fantastic money-spinners. If you want to make some serious dosh, I'd start working on the next one now and look to release it in ten or fifteen years time.

I used to read quite a few. The origins of Christianity are very interesting. Some theories are quite restrained; others, rather outlandish. I eventually concluded that there just wasn't enough evidence to know for sure. I thought Paula Fredriksen's From Jesus to Christ was the most persuasive of those I read. If only that lost gospel of the Ebionites were to come to light...

I've actually read another book by Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh called the Dead Sea Scrolls Deception. I read it all in one sitting, starting at bed time. On the strength of that I ordered James the Brother of Jesus by Robert Eisenman, who was someone whose work they praised. This turned out to be a two inch tome and probably the most tedious book I've ever read, and I've read a few.

Lamb of God by Ralph F Wilson was very good too, although that's not so much a theory on the origins of Christianity as an analysis of the gospels with reference to the old testament. Quite a sober and spiritual book.

After early Christianity, the next most interesting era was the Medieval period with all the heresies and crusades going on.The best book I read on this was The Pursuit of the Millennium by Norman Cohn.

A cross between T-Rex and the cr@ppy Mondays Happy Mundi's :biggrin:

IGMC

I'd be pretty pleased to resemble T-Rex.

Wrecks Monday... :biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Christianity was cobbed together by a bunch of monks with nothing better to do, a bit like Christmas and all that Scottish stuff like kilts were invented by the Victorians.

Svendo

Guru
Having studied early christianity for A level and degree, (not that I remember much of it) you can make a strong argument for 'Christianity' being invented by Paul, until then it was a Jewish cult, and there are traces of the power struggle between James-Brother-Of-Jesus lot and Pauls lot. But there is definitely not enough evidence for definitive answers, hence the 'room' for wildly speculative conspiratorial theories.

Top Bottom