Ribble bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Upon the advice of MacB I checked out the Ribble website for their special edition bikes - good specifications for the money.

Just wondering as they're up in Preston -is there anyway I can test ride them closer to London?

my old bike (Specialized Ruby Elite) had shimano 105 groupset- am prepared to try the campag Veloce and Centaur on other bikes in LBS to see how they compare but my experience a while back was I preferred Shimano 105- open minded though- I can still choose Shimano under the various options on Ribble's website

I will still be stuck in terms of the geometry of the bike as I've looked at the figures and compared bikes but nothing beats the feel on a ride - especially important for a woman of 5 ft 3.5

I've noticed that I had a 40cm handlebar before but the options only allow the smallest at 42cm but this will be a fraction wider - does anyone know if they will put a 40cm bar on the bike - I will give them a ring in the week but was wondering if any cc'ers knew

So much componentry to choose - another query

my old bike had a cassette of 10 speed with 11-28 tooth range - the ribble bike options are:

11-25
12-23
12-25 and some others

wanted to know what the difference was in terms of gearing etc and how it transfers directly into the ride.

the final question is regarding the chainset as I think the Ruby was a compact - the chainrings were the standard 50/34 but I was wondering what the difference in feel and gearing was in the following 170/125/175 ratios was like:

compact (I think the ruby was compact) 170 34/50,
compact 172 34/50
compact 175 34/50

So any wisdom would be appreciated especially if I'm not able to test out the bike before purchasing online.

Simply any folk out there have a Carbon Ribble bike -how does it ride. comfort, speed etc is it an aggressive racing position or more relaxed road position - the fact that it covers sportives and racing under its name blurs the clarity a bit - any info would be appreciated.

Now only have to think about options for the commuting bike...:rolleyes:

oxbob

170/172/175 refers to the length of the crank arms. i will be ordering a ribble sportive (centaur) soon,don't think you can test ride them but if you visit the shop they will measure you up. As for changing bar width that should not be a problem

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
thanks oxbob -that's really useful - I would be wise opting for 170 for a shorter crank given my height etc

Let me know how the centaur sportive rides as I'm considering that one

too far to go to be measured up imho!

oxbob

TT i have a giant scr3 size small that needs a chainset (pref a triple) sitting in my garage.If you are interested in using ( i read your stolen bike/fnrttc post) i will be in London next sat for the bike racing and can bring it up then

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
'ears perking up'... do you need any cash for this? and what is the actual frame sizing in cm or inches?

I may not be fully up and running on Saturday as have surgery tuesday but depending on the above etc can take it off your handsas it's a shame it is sitting in the garage unused

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
ooh mr mm when did you get it and when did you contact them about the problems? That isn't encouraging..there's been quite a bit of positive feedback on this site though.

Which one did you get?

oxbob

This is the bike TT

MajorMantra

I found this useful when I was choosing my Ribble gearing.

To figure out your gearing needs, plug your current numbers in here and compare to the options available using gear inches.

If you do a search you'll find lots of glowing posts about the Sportive (mainly by me ;)). Suffice to say it's a nice bike that's comfy enough and stiff enough. I say 'enough' because it's the only carbon bike I've ridden so I don't have much to compare it to.

In terms of setup it can be relaxed or aggressive depending on your choice of frame size and your bar/stem setup. Mine is currently relatively relaxed but if I remove some spacers I'll have a fairly large saddle to bar drop.

Matthew

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Thanks MM- really useful post

I think I will choose the compact 170 at 34/50
with 11-25 - saw some of your pictures on here of the sportive-it looks like a real beaut!!

I've ordered one

I'm a 5'7" bloke with 30" inside leg....and in London too.

I've ordered (today) a small (47cm) Ribble Nero RC with Centaur, compact and 12-25. Very excited, now i've just got to play the waiting game for it to arrive.

Tollers

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Sounds good tollers!

Hope it arrives soon - I'm still waiting on the insurance to get back to me _yawn!!!

I'm tempted to ask you for a test ride!!! Lol! as I'm planning to get the small carbon sportive- slighlty different gearing to your machine though.

No worries TT.

I think the Sportive and Nero have fairly different geometries though. I'm so damn impatient though, really frustrating waiting and im unable to resist planning upgrades already. First thing will be getting decent saddle and tires on it. Will let you know how the order/delivery process goes. Ribble have never been known for being speedy, but at their prices, its understandable.

Tollers

Top Bottom