Ribble Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moby Jones

I am still in the process of deciding which road bike to get and have been becoming more interested in some of the bikes Ribble produce. Has anyone got some info about Ribble bikes they own. I am slightly worried about ordering off the net due to getting the right size of bike.

e-rider

crappy member
Ribble customer service is well known for all the wrong reasons ie. it doesn't really exist!

Alan Whicker

If you're in any doubts about ordering, don't visit their shop (such as it is) in Preston first. The staff were not especially helpful, considering we were potentially about to spend over a grand. Certainly put me off.

Having said that, my brother's just got an absolutely stunning Gran Fondo from Ribble, via their online bikebuilder. All went pretty smoothly, though it was a couple of weeks late - their 'lead times' are a bit ... vague.

Fiona N

Veteran
I've had no problems with Ribble - I've ordered a frame and forks and various bits from them and have never had any problems, everything's come on time and as ordered.

So maybe that's the key - when it works, they're good. If something goes wrong, the problems pile up.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have a Ribble. Can't tell you about the ordering process as I got it second hand but it is certainly a nice bike to ride. There are some threads about their customer service on new orders some people have had problems and others not.

zophiel

Veteran
my wife ordered the winter commuter from ribble last year. It was a few weeks late though that was down to a supply issue from campagonolo, which was confirmed by a different retailer at that time too. Once I actually started to talk to them the customer service was very good. I was either mailing or phoning them every few days, they must have been fed up by the end.

other parts we have ordered have always turned up on time with no problems.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I got a Ribble Ribelle - great bike for the money; took a while to arrive; have heard lots of issues around customer service and delivery.

I am still in the process of deciding which road bike to get and have been becoming more interested in some of the bikes Ribble produce. Has anyone got some info about Ribble bikes they own. I am slightly worried about ordering off the net due to getting the right size of bike.

I looked at Ribble and was wary about that too, I fall on the L/XL boderline. Planet X is only an hours drive away from me though (and they have some outlets now too) so went there to have a look and ended up buying one.

Ribble did get back to me with frame size advice though after emailing them.

monnet

Guru
The quality of Ribble stuff is fine. And you'll struggle to get better value. THey pile it high and sell it cheap. THe frames are the usual straight out of Taiwan/ China jobs that most people flog these days. The reports I've had of the recent bikes are good, although most say the handling is not as good as on bikes of similar spec which cost more (i.e. 1500 gets you an all carbon ultegra kitted out Ribble, but 2200 gets you a similarly specced bike with 'Scott' or 'Wilier' written on it). THe difference is notable if you are putting the bike through its paces (ie racing) but otherwise not worth worrying about. From that perspective RIbble are fine. The sizing can be a little odd and I don't know if it's been standardised no but some frames used to have really long top tubes and others were shorter making it rather difficult o get sizing right.

Customer service is dreadful. I know all the reasons why and won't go into them here. They exist because they are so much cheaper than everyone else, not because they offer a great service. We all know them from their online retail, but ask around in the trade and there are plenty of stories of sharp practice, in particular involving their one time frame builder who now builds frames in his own name. I don't buy from them for that reason, but it's a personal decision

OP
OP
Moby Jones

Moby Jones

Interesting points guys, i am still not sure about ordering a bike online. I will have a good like and try of some bikes at the bike show in Glasgow next weekend :thumbsup: and maybe then i will have a clearere idea of what i will go for. I am starting to get impaitent now and can see me buying something very soon....

jonrwg

Just got my Gran Fondo today (Friday 8/4/2011), ordered last Tuesday. For frame size I suggest going over to their warehouse and ask them to get your sizing right. I took 6hours train (return) ride from Birmingham and it was worth a trip there. They size me up with suitable handlebar, stem and frame size. They even took a few model bike out and let me sit on it. Ordered there straight away and I've seen most people having issue with customer serivce and yes it was dreadful but I managed to get one of them (Alan) to help me out in quick respond.

There you go, in 2 weeks I've my bike delivered. So far so good, nothing needed to be return so I guess I'm lucky? :biggrin: Is a great bike and felt so nice riding on it. I almost choose Planet X but I choose Ribble because of their bike builder options. No regret so far. :thumbsup:

Just go for it and try email them more often (put pressure on them and don call them, save your money and time) like I did. I emailed them everyday about my bike status. :laugh: :rolleyes:

jonrwg

As requested but I haven't find a suitable time to take the whole bike. Going to France for a week so I'll post up after my vacation end. :biggrin:

GranFondo.jpg

Top Bottom