Ribble or Orbea e-bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScullyGY

Hi
Im looking for some advice on e road bikes please.
I’m in a group of cyclists that are much fitter and younger than me, I’m heading towards 64. I can sort of keep up with them (when they slow down or wait for me😊) and hills are a problem for me to so I’ve been toying with the idea of buying an e-bike just for a little assistance.
I’ve been looking at the Ribble CGR, SL-e and Orbea Gain but unsure of which to go for?
Anyone help🤔😊

CXRAndy

Guru
Pretty much the same both have X35 motor.

Try and find a shop for test rides

richtea

Be aware that if your group averages more than 15.5mph on the flat then you'll get no assistance AND you'll be carrying 3-4Kg extra weight. Not good.
(I'm assuming you're in Europe, by the way where the max legal speed is 15.5mph / 25kph.)

You'll be fine when you hit the hills of course, but possibly not enough to make up for those previous flat high speed miles.

If they ride at less than 15.5mph average, you'll be laughing on the flat or hills.

I'm not sure there's a great deal of difference between the two. I have an Orbea, but the most basic model (a D50), and the wheels weren't quite good enough for my weight (110Kg). You may not have a problem if you either buy a more expensive variant, or weigh less than me. Or both!

OP
OP
ScullyGY

ScullyGY

Be aware that if your group averages more than 15.5mph on the flat then you'll get no assistance AND you'll be carrying 3-4Kg extra weight. Not good.
(I'm assuming you're in Europe, by the way where the max legal speed is 15.5mph / 25kph.)

You'll be fine when you hit the hills of course, but possibly not enough to make up for those previous flat high speed miles.

If they ride at less than 15.5mph average, you'll be laughing on the flat or hills.

I'm not sure there's a great deal of difference between the two. I have an Orbea, but the most basic model (a D50), and the wheels weren't quite good enough for my weight (110Kg). You may not have a problem if you either buy a more expensive variant, or weigh less than me. Or both!
Thanks for that 👍

OP
OP
ScullyGY

ScullyGY

Also would it be worth waiting awhile and try and pick up a hardly used second hand one🤔

richtea

I'd want solid evidence of purchase date, mileage (which you ask the owner to supply via the app), and ideally have seen the bike in the flesh to make sure it works.
Mine was secondhand - had done 200Km, and was 'as new'. I've seen similar low mileage ones for around £1300-1500, but sometimes you get lucky. 😊

Secondhand Ribbles seem a bit rarer, though.

balin5954

I'd want solid evidence of purchase date, mileage (which you ask the owner to supply via the app), and ideally have seen the bike in the flesh to make sure it works.
Mine was secondhand - had done 200Km, and was 'as new'. I've seen similar low mileage ones for around £1300-1500, but sometimes you get lucky. 😊

Secondhand Ribbles seem a bit rarer, though.

I bought my Ribble during Covid lockdown and with no available dealerships had to dredge through several problems on my own. Ribble refused to accept any responsibility for anything due to a bike coming with a warranty being “second hand”
Much better to buy new and have peace of mind imo! Eventually Ribble started to talk to me and did provide me with a couple of cheap spares. However if anything expensive ie battery it’s a minimum £550 to replace plus fitting at a local bike shop.
You may experience several idiosyncrasies on ebikes which can be extremely frustrating! Would I buy another? Yes in a heartbeat but new from a dealer with a 3 year warranty!

Top Bottom