Ribcap - alternative to a helmet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
Ribcaps are soft cloth hats but have some shock absorbing layers built in. They are designed by a Swiss company who I think are probably targeting skiers and ice skaters.

The website does explicitly state that they are not a replacement for a helmet, but then goes onto say that they are an option for people who can't or won't wear a helmet for some reason.

Does anyone know anything about these, and would they offer an protection to a cyclist?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
They have mastered the unique art of looking even more stupid than a helmet without offering the (alleged) protection of the same.

I will continue to rely on the shock absorbing qualities of my hair.

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
I wouldn't claim this excerpt from the Gadget Show proves anything, but it does suggest that they might have some protective properties.

kyuss

Veteran
They look pretty good. But £55 for a wooly hat that's going to be far too hot to cycle in except in the very coldest of weather is a bit much. I sweat enough with just a thin Buff on.

jimboalee

This has given me a damned good idea.

I will dig out an old 'Banana' hat from the seventies, and I could wear a Thinsulate woolie hat over the top.

Wearing the Thinsulate woolie hat under my polyshell makes me sweat buckets. The 'Banana' hat will provide an 'air gap'.

IF I can find it, I will report on this idea next week when the weather is less warm.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
The air gap will make it even warmer. That's why mesh vests are the warmest option. your body heats the air and the outer layer prevents it escaping/circulating, keeping you warmer

jimboalee

zimzum42. You are prob correct.

Oh, I am a 'Hot head'.......B)

Smokin Joe said:
They have mastered the unique art of looking even more stupid than a helmet without offering the (alleged) protection of the same.

I will continue to rely on the shock absorbing qualities of my hair.

Well done for re-igniting the cycling helmet debate within 2 posts;)

Top Bottom