England : North Yorkshire Richmond (N Yorks) Sportive - 2nd June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Entries for the Richmond Sportive series are at:

https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?elid=Y&event_id=655

Choice of 50, 80 or 100 mile rides. 3 feed stops and organisation by Richmond Cycling Club. All for the same price of £15 as last year.

Has anyone done this / is planning to?

It's about the only time in early June I can do an event, although I'm also looking at the Ron Kitching CTC event on the 23rd.

Steve H

Large Member
Looks challenging. Which distance are you fancying DC?

Fran143

Über Member
I did it a few years ago and few wee climbs, some gorgeous scenery and crakin feed stations. May well do it again if I'm off.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Looks challenging. Which distance are you fancying DC?

The 100 looks interesting and I'd like the challenge.

The website says that they seem to be happy with switching from 100 to 80, so if I can get the day sorted I'll enter the 100. By then I'm hoping I'll be up to a 100.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The 100 looks interesting and I'd like the challenge.

The website says that they seem to be happy with switching from 100 to 80, so if I can get the day sorted I'll enter the 100. By then I'm hoping I'll be up to a 100.
You're definitely up to a hilly 100! I've done several hilly 200s (kms - 125 miles) and you are at least as fit as I was then. Just make sure that you eat and drink properly and that you are comfortable enough on your bike to take the extra hours in the saddle.

Hugo15

Über Member
It's a brilliant event. The Richmond club really know how to put on a sportive. For your £15 you get

- well organised parking and sign on
- well signposted route
- electronic timing
- great feed stations. Last year there was a variety of bars, boxes of jelly babies, flapjack, bananas and cheese pasties (not sure and the nutrition value of the pasties but a great alternative to all the sweet sticky stuff)
- post ride meal; chilli and rice + cup of tea last year.

It's got to be the best value sportive around.

Oh, and then there is the route! Spectacular scenery in the Yorkshire Dales with some very tough climbs. I've done the 50, the 80 and finally last year the 100. The 80 splits from the 100 at Hawes, which is around the 50 to 55 mile point. You can just choose on the day depending on how you feel which way you want to go.

I'm going to enter the 100 again this year.

asterix

Comrade Member
I did the 80 last year although I am not really a sportive rider (it was my first one). I planned to do the 100 but after a tough headwind on the outward section wimped out which was foolish as the homeward leg was a breeze - we had a powerful tailwind! Can't do it again this year as I'll be in France.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Unfortunately my twisted knee means I'm out of this. It's still bandaged, although I'm hoping to be back on the bike tomorrow.

Hope the others enjoy it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Unfortunately my twisted knee means I'm out of this. It's still bandaged, although I'm hoping to be back on the bike tomorrow.
I just spotted your status update - sorry to hear that! Take it easy on the bike until you are sure the knee is okay or you could end up making it worse.

I had a scare with my right knee recently but it has settled down again. It wasn't much fun having to hop downstairs on my left foot. Going upstairs, I couldn't alternate footstrikes, but had to lead with the left and drag the right which was surprisingly tiring.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

I just spotted your status update - sorry to hear that! Take it easy on the bike until you are sure the knee is okay or you could end up making it worse.

Thanks Colin. I'm testing it with a short ride tomorrow, basically I was fine going up but couldn't go down on the left knee. If there's any issues I'll take more time for it to recover.

As a result I'm not planning any major rides for the next week or so.

Top Bottom