ride around hebden bridge this weekend?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
next sunday, anyone fancy a ride maybe up n over cragg vale down blackstone, thru littleborough, then rochdale, over whitworth then thru rawtenstall, crawshawbooth, dunnockshaw,top of burnley, then thru tod, then back to hebden? it's approx 45 miles. any suggestions welcome.

Svendo

Guru
May well fancy it.

I had been considering turning up today on spec, but appraising the weather out of the bedroom window at 10am I chickened out!
You all look suitably heroic on the video.
Did an hour and a half on the Turbo to alleviate the guilt though.
The forecasts seem to be less wet and windy but colder, for what they're worth a week out.

I'd avoid that descent into Hebden Bridge,Only been down it once on my s/s and
vowed to never go down there again,Had both brakes full on, my feet
draggin on the floor and was still accellerating :eek:,ended up riding into the
undergrowth just to stop myself.

Rochdale or l/boro would nearest for me to meet up
Any plans for a cafe stop? :hungry:

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i wasn't planning on a cafe stop, but not adverse to one. we can go the other way into hebden if you prefer. looking like it may be a rochdale start then as your from that end and svendo is from those parts to. i'm in between so don't mind which bit i ride to.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I would very much have liked to come, unfortunatelly I wont be able to this week :sad: If you do this route or similar again (I want to do the climb up Cragg Vale) in the coming months I will come along :biggrin:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I wondered what Pennine Paul was on about because what you originally described didn't have a descent into Hebden Bridge, but then I checked the map you linked to ...

Mythom Steeps! Er, yes, you really don't want to organise a ride going down that! In dry conditions, with good brakes and no traffic it is safe but you have to be careful. With poor judgement, brakes less than 100%, greasy roads or oncoming traffic it can be very dangerous indeed.

I was in a car involved in a multiple pile-up on that descent! All the drivers were driving too fast. A mate was giving me a lift back from work and was too close to the guy in front who braked suddenly at the bottom of the really steep bit when a car cut the corner coming the other way. The car in front slid into the one coming the other way. We slid into him, and then we got rammed from behind - all drivers equally to blame.

I have toyed with the idea of inflicting it as a climb on a forum ride, but I'm not fit enough to climb it at the moment so that's a pleasure for the future!

I suggest that you follow the road round from Blackshaw Head through Colden to Slack, then descend through the woods and the lower part of the Heptonstall Road as we did on the Trawden ride on Sunday.

SHAUN - check your routes against OS maps! ;)

That routes website displays ancient rights of way as if they are all roads - they aren't! Your route 'does a Sat Nav' up some footpaths from Walk Mill. You need to go up Greencliffe Lane!

I'm not sure if I'm free at the weekend because my sister might be up. If I am free, I don't fancy the Rossendale valley much so I might make my own way up to the Manchester Road lights via your route in reverse so I am bound to meet up with you and ride back up the Long Causeway and then up the Cragg Vale climb with you.

I'd then either ride back - Littleborough, Calderbook, Walsden, Lumbutts, Mankinholes, Hebden Bridge OR go the other way - Blue Ball Lane, Hubberton Green, Boulderclough, Mytholmroyd, Hebden Bridge.

I'll let you know if I can make it. Roughly what time would you expect to get to the Manchester Road traffic lights?

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
okey dokey, i think this is correct. i've been thru it and got rid of the dodgy roads and footpaths. what time do you guys fancy starting?

sunday's updated map

colin,

if your coming and it's defo later on in the week let me, so we can sort out a meeting point, i'll ride back to hebden with you as well to increase my miles. oh, don't forget you've got my crank end in your pocket.

Garz

Squat Member
Colin has assured me he wants to take a detour up Park rash...

ohmy.gif

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm a bit confused about where you are starting from! The map route starts from your house, but didn't you decide on a Littleborough or Rochdale start instead?

I don't find Cragg Vale tedious because it is quite a pretty climb, though it is quite long. The usual cross-headwind makes it seem more tedious, granted.

The route goes through Heptonstall rather than the lower road through the woods. That's not a problem but it means a lot more braking. Having said that, there is a nice little cafe in Heptonstall if you fancied calling in there. They've just redecorated though, so I'm not sure they'd be too happy if we were really mucky. It might be better to give them a miss if it had been raining.

Yes, I found the crank plug later - I told you we'd forget it!

I think that Park Rash might be a little bit too much of a detour on this ride Garz! ;) If anybody fancies an absolute killer ride from Hebden Bridge one mid-summer day though, that would be the one! I worked out a 200 km route to take in such delights as Park Rash and tackled it in 2006 when I was a lot fitter. Nearly 4,000 m of climbing, including some really steep stuff! Maybe not this summer unless I make very rapid progress through the spring!

Top Bottom