Ride for Food

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Not sure what is the next month with a free slot for the ride for food (August is Felpham I think, not sure about Sept). Anyway, I've never been to Oxford so I'm floating the idea of Oxford and back.

Found a likely pub (here).

Any thoughts?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
August 20th is Surrey/Sussex with Simon
September 10th is Olympic Road Route with Abs
October is Oxford with Martin
November is The Chilterns with Frank
December is Maldon with Abs

frank9755

Cyclist
The Chilterns are stunning in November when the beech trees turn golden. Especially if there is one of those clear days that we often get.

I was thinking of suggesting a ride out that way for November. I know a good cafe and a pub for lunch, and there are plenty of lanes and hills.

I've ridden to Oxford a couple of times and, while it's a good destination to aim for, getting from HPC to there for lunchtime would need an early start.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
The Chilterns are stunning in November when the beech trees turn golden. Especially if there is one of those clear days that we often get.

I was thinking of suggesting a ride out that way for November. I know a good cafe and a pub for lunch, and there are plenty of lanes and hills.

I've ridden to Oxford a couple of times and, while it's a good destination to aim for, getting from HPC to there for lunchtime would need an early start.

How early? I got this idea from a colleague who is from Oxford and reckons 40 miles so an 8am start should do it? Hopefully??

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

perfect Frank. Will add that in.

frank9755

Cyclist
How early? I got this idea from a colleague who is from Oxford and reckons 40 miles so an 8am start should do it? Hopefully??

Depends which way you go, but it would be more like 60 miles from HPC. The most direct route is the A40, but that is not pleasant for cycling.

Quickly checking my GarminConnect, I rode it in Feb and it was 56 miles from my house (which is about 8 miles west of HPC), and it took me just over 4 hours. It's slightly further than, say, Cambridge, but slower average speed as it's hillier. From your house to Oxford must be getting on for 80 miles!

I've cycled it by the Sustrans route, which tracks the Thames a fair bit. That is about 100 miles, but very pretty.

Edit
Can people read this link to my Garmin route...?
It was to Peartree services which is about 3 miles north of the city centre so say it would be 53 miles from my house or about 60 from HPC by this route.

Edit 2
See this thread for the YACFers route. 62 miles to Acton

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Depends which way you go, but it would be more like 60 miles from HPC. The most direct route is the A40, but that is not pleasant for cycling.

Quickly checking my GarminConnect, I rode it in Feb and it was 56 miles from my house (which is about 8 miles west of HPC), and it took me just over 4 hours. It's slightly further than, say, Cambridge, but slower average speed as it's hillier. From your house to Oxford must be getting on for 80 miles!

I've cycled it by the Sustrans route, which tracks the Thames a fair bit. That is about 100 miles, but very pretty.

Edit
Can people read this link to my Garmin route...?
It was to Peartree services which is about 3 miles north of the city centre so say it would be 53 miles from my house or about 60 from HPC by this route.

Oh ok. I don't fancy the A40 much and the ride for food is meant to be a relaxing ride rather than a sprint so maybe Oxford itself is out but we could certainly head in that direction. Sounds good.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
August is Surrey/Sussex with Simon
September is Olympic Road Route with Abs
October is Oxford with Martin
November is The Chilterns with Frank
December is Maldon with Abs

Bearing in mind Frank's comments, I think we'll skip Oxford. It's too far for a "there and back" ride unless we limit the numbers and raise the speed which I think is outside the ethos of these rides really.

The Chilterns should be fun though.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bearing in mind Frank's comments, I think we'll skip Oxford. It's too far for a "there and back" ride unless we limit the numbers and raise the speed which I think is outside the ethos of these rides really.

The Chilterns should be fun though.

Well Big Man, you are in charge of October so come up with something else.

Top Bottom