Ride suggestion from Preston?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good evening!
I’m fairly new to road cycling and was wondering if anybody knew of a pretty intermediate ride starting from the Preston area?
Maybe some nice country lanes included, I’m not familiar with the country side as I’ve always worked in the city.
30-40 miles tops ideally

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Mark!

I've heard good things about the Preston Guild Wheel though I am not familiar with it. Maybe use that to 'escape' from Preston?

If you then head NW to the Fylde the terrain is flat and easy (unless it is as windy as it has been of late!), but not terribly interesting.

If you head N/NE instead it is much more undulating and pleasant. There are big hills in the distance but you can avoid them until you feel ready to tackle them.

Try this one: ... Woodplumpton (N of Preston), Barton, Inglewhite, Whitechapel and then climbing up to Beacon Fell. There is a singletrack one-way lane going clockwise round the Fell. Do a circuit and call in at the visitor centre cafe if you fancy that. Either return by your outward route or go via Brockmill (STEEP descent to a river and STEEP climb back up!), Claughton, Matshead, Bilsborrow, Woodplumpton ...

A bit further: ... Broughton Hall (N Preston by the M6), Haighton Green, N to Cumeragh Village, N to Hill Chapel, NE to Chipping (Cobbled Corner cafe there if you fancy a stop), follow the road round to the SE - Gibbon Br, NE - Doeford Br, Lees, turn R and head NE up the old roman road to Cow Ark, then descend through Bashall Eaves, bear R at the junction as if heading for Whalley, R at the crossroads and descend to Higher Hodder Br. From down there you have 2 choices - the severe climb of Birdy Brow to your left just after the bridge. That takes you over the south side of Longridge Fell. An easier alternative is to continue up the gentler climb round the north side of the Fell. If you went via Birdy Brow, descend through Longridge and head back to Haighton Green. Alternatively, skirt to the north of Longridge, then Haighton Green...

OP
OP
M

markmcloughlin1

Regular
Hi Mark!

I've heard good things about the Preston Guild Wheel though I am not familiar with it. Maybe use that to 'escape' from Preston?

If you then head NW to the Fylde the terrain is flat and easy (unless it is as windy as it has been of late!), but not terribly interesting.

If you head N/NE instead it is much more undulating and pleasant. There are big hills in the distance but you can avoid them until you feel ready to tackle them.

Try this one: ... Woodplumpton (N of Preston), Barton, Inglewhite, Whitechapel and then climbing up to Beacon Fell. There is a singletrack one-way lane going clockwise round the Fell. Do a circuit and call in at the visitor centre cafe if you fancy that. Either return by your outward route or go via Brockmill (STEEP descent to a river and STEEP climb back up!), Claughton, Matshead, Bilsborrow, Woodplumpton ...

A bit further: ... Broughton Hall (N Preston by the M6), Haighton Green, N to Cumeragh Village, N to Hill Chapel, NE to Chipping (Cobbled Corner cafe there if you fancy a stop), follow the road round to the SE - Gibbon Br, NE - Doeford Br, Lees, turn R and head NE up the old roman road to Cow Ark, then descend through Bashall Eaves, bear R at the junction as if heading for Whalley, R at the crossroads and descend to Higher Hodder Br. From down there you have 2 choices - the severe climb of Birdy Brow to your left just after the bridge. That takes you over the south side of Longridge Fell. An easier alternative is to continue up the gentler climb round the north side of the Fell. If you went via Birdy Brow, descend through Longridge and head back to Haighton Green. Alternatively, skirt to the north of Longridge, then Haighton Green...
Thanks, that’s great! I’ll give it a go tomorrow

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
up to Beacon Fell. There is a singletrack one-way lane going clockwise round the Fell

Isn't that where you took us on a forum ride?

That stretch was good fun, almost felt like riding on a private road.

Bit of a pull to get up there.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Isn't that where you took us on a forum ride?

That stretch was good fun, almost felt like riding on a private road.

Bit of a pull to get up there.
Yes, we have been up there a few times.

And yes - it is a climb up to it and on the singletrack road itself there is a short steep climb on the way round to the visitor centre.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
One of the local riders, might have been your mate Bill, remarked you'd done well to find that stretch.

A sentiment I was happy to endorse.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I look at the OS maps, try to avoid (wherever possible) any busy-looking roads, and go to explore what is left.
I suppose it's not rocket science, but there's certainly some art in linking it all together to form an enjoyable circuit for cycling.

My handful of efforts have been fairly well received, but I tend to use tried and tested routes nicked from others and adapt them a little.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@markmcloughlin1 Colin is spot on when he suggests the Guild Wheel as a good way to navigate in and out of Preston. Many of our club riders use it regularly - it does of course depend on where you live in Preston.

I understand stand the comment the Fylde countryside is not that interesting but suggest you don't write off the area. It's simple to put together some nice routes through the area, something we often do to extend a ride.

In the Trough of Bowland and Ribble Valley areas you will find great riding and quiet roads. These are areas few people visit. I think many folk simply drive up the M6 to the Lakes - long may it continue, we like to keep our secrets!! The routes Colin suggests are good ones, I know those roads well.

Lancashire has some great climbs many in the area mentioned. Do be aware in Beacon Fell and Cow Ark you have two tasty ascents - Cow Ark, I think, is Cat 4. Birdy Brow? This is a fabulous climb, Cat 3, and has recently been resurfaced but note it is not for the faint hearted. It ramps up to 11/12% and is one we use when out hill hunting.

Another alternative would be the Mosses - the relatively flat area, it's possible to find hills, inland of Southport. The best way out of Preston would be to use the Cobbled Bridge to cross the river, then follow the signed cycleway before picking numerous quiet roads and lanes to the area.

Last edited:
Top Bottom