England : London Ride to Brighton 3rd July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@StuAff @Racing roadkill @rb58 @martint235 @Trickedem @Cold Snail @Aravis @Supersuperleeds @Dogtrousers @tatr @redfalo @Soltydog @Eddie_C @Michael Adu @HLaB @GinaC

Hi All,
Sunday 3rd July. I am planning on a ride down to Brighton for July's qualifying ride. I did mention that it would be a good idea to have a meet up in Brighton with Stuart and RR seeing as they are both in the same neck of the woods. I have tagged those that are in the Imperial Century Challenge ride (some of our Oop Norf chums probably won't be able to make it) but it's open to all who fancy joining us. Either one way to Brighton or for the ride down and the return journey also.

So plan is, to leave Purley (Tescos) just outside of Croydon at 8.30am to be in Brighton for around about Noon-12.30pm (Brighton is 43miles from Purley). The plan is a non stop ride except to regroup at junctions if we get split up, need a quick on the go snack or have a faff if you are that way inclined. I'm not looking at a fast ride, but not wanting to hang about either as we will be riding back and so want to get back home at a decent hour.

Lunch will be at the Fish and Chip place on the beach next to the Big Wheel thingy.

From Purley it's about 43 miles. Straight down the A23 to and around Gatwick, through Crawley, to Pease Pottage, Handcross down through Staplecross to Cuckfield, Ansty, Burgess Hill and Hassocks. We can decide on the day whether to tackle Ditchling or do the less strenuous version of over Clayton Hill and using the bike lane next to the A23.

That's good for me.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Could I have a go at this one, please?

I have a week's holiday already booked with, as Chuck once sang, No Particular Place To Go, so a couple of days dahn sarf will make something of my week off.

When strongish roadies talk of not hanging about I get a bit nervous, but my Rose ebike should enable me to keep the indicated pace.

Oddly, where I might drop back a bit is on the downhils because I am a cautious descender - much over 30mph and it's a brake test for me.

I've heard and read lots about London to Brighton and The Beacon, so it's a ride I'd like to do.

My initial ambition would be to ride both ways, but can I take it I can get the train back on a turn up and go basis?

I shall be in the Premier Inn in Purley, and it looks like a train to East Croydon would be the most straightforward, no changes and only two or three miles to ride at the other end.

Speaking of accommodation, the Premier Inn 'pay now' price has just dropped to sixty quid a night, which I regard as relatively cheap.

I will hold off pressing the button on that until I get the official thumbs up from @ianrauk.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@Pale Rider For your information.
We are looking at round about 15mph average minimum for the ride. We have to keep with this as to meet Stuart and R Roadkill at the time I mentioned in my first post and to get people back home at a decent hour.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
@Pale Rider, you are more then welcome.
We're not strongish roadies, we're fair to middling oldies. :becool:

Yup, the trains are turn up and go. We go past the station on the way back.

As for downhills, you can keep @martint235 company :okay:

Thanks for the swift - and welcoming - response.

Premier Inn booked and paid for.

As you might have gathered, I fancy whirring up The Beacon, but on the day I shall be sticking with my policy of letting the leader do his job, so no worries if you want to go the other way.

We are looking at round about 15mph average minimum for the ride. We have to keep with this as to meet Stuart and R Roadkill at the time I mentioned in my first post and to get people back home at a decent hour.

Thanks for making that clear, that's plenty for me, and while I lack your experience of longer rides, I do have some experience, and I thought carefully about your ETA target of noonish before putting my hand up.

I'm reasonably confident of making that target.

Worse way, I will struggle a bit, moan a bit (or a lot), and turn back early - but there will be no hard feelings.

You've set the stall out fairly, so I'm going into it with my eyes open.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Have fun! :smile: I'll be tootling around elsewhere, unfortunately.

I couldn't hack that speed anyway ...

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Hmmm....I may be interested in this, it depends on some work related stuff as to whether I can get there or not. Never done a ride to Brighton.

15mph sounds achievable for me, just about.

I've been reading the comments on the thread with interest. I hope @Pale Rider you don't mind me saying but on our ride we did to Rhyl last year we only managed about 11.5mph together. Maybe you have more batteries which would allow a higher speed but please bear in mind that's what we managed on a very flat ride with a tailwind. I would hate for you to get left behind out of the gate. If you are going to do it and I can make it I hope to see you again

Top Bottom