Rider down in Gracechurch Street

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manalog

Über Member
A colllegue told me that a Cyclist has been badly injured after a collision with a Lorry. I hope s/he is OK.;) Not another one, this is part of my commute and Im feeling very nervous now.

chap

Veteran
manalog said:
A colllegue told me that a Cyclist has been badly injured after a collision with a Lorry. I hope s/he is OK.:smile: Not another one, this is part of my commute and Im feeling very nervous now.

I hope they are OK. I also hope that they soon put limits on these things in cities.

Tynan

Veteran
it's a fact though isn't it that you can't get hurt by a left turning lorry unless you're alongside a loory at a junction, people have to take some responsibility for themselves

although I'm certainly no fans of large vehicles in central London

Tynan said:
it's a fact though isn't it that you can't get hurt by a left turning lorry unless you're alongside a loory at a junction, people have to take some responsibility for themselves

+1

Origamist

Legendary Member
Tynan said:

addictfreak said:

No, it's not a fact. You can be seriously injured or killed if you are in front of a HGV (in a blindspot) and it runs you down as you both turn left. You can be seriously injured or killed if you are proceeding straight ahead and a HGV turns left across you path (aka a left hook).

Origamist

Legendary Member
Back to the OP. It is also not clear if this was a HGV/cyclist left turn collision. The rider was seriously injured but alive when they were taken away by ambulance.

Fingers crossed that the cyclist pulls through and does not suffer life changing injuries.

Origamist said:

No, it's not a fact. You can be seriously injured or killed if you are in front of a HGV (in a blindspot) and it runs you down as you both turn left. You can be seriously injured or killed if you are proceeding straight ahead and a HGV turns left across you path (aka a left hook).

Of course you can. And no one is suggesting that its always down to the cyclist. But I see the cyclists going up the inside of HGVs and buses too many times. Which is a recipe for disaster.

People on here are all too quick to assume that the driver of a motorised vehilce big or small is too blame. On my travels I often see cyclists with little or no road sense, some of them are a hazard to themselves.

Origamist

Legendary Member
addictfreak said:
Of course you can. And no one is suggesting that its always down to the cyclist. But I see the cyclists going up the inside of HGVs and buses too many times. Which is a recipe for disaster.

Tynan suggested that there was only one way (a "fact" he called it) that you could get hurt by a HGV during a left turn. You +1 this!!!! Cyclists do indeed go up the left of vehicles, but they get hurt or killed in different ways as well. We have no way of knowing what contributed to this incident at this stage. See my earlier post.

addictfreak said:
People on here are all too quick to assume that the driver of a motorised vehilce big or small is too blame. On my travels I often see cyclists with little or no road sense, some of them are a hazard to themselves.

No one on this thread has blamed the driver. You have generalised about poor cyclist behaviour though.

Not on this particular thread, but its a general trend across the forum.

And I was merely agreeing with Tynan's point in general. I dont think his intention was to suggest that it was the only cause of cycling v HGV collisions. As far as this incident is concerned im the same as you, I have no knowledge of what happened

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
addictfreak said:
Not on this particular thread, but its a general trend across the forum.

No it's not. No more than the general trend for drivers to be at fault more often than cyclists are, mostly because cyclists aren't protected by steel cages and thus have *much* more motivation to avoid a collision.

BentMikey said:
No it's not. No more than the general trend for drivers to be at fault more often than cyclists are, mostly because cyclists aren't protected by steel cages and thus have *much* more motivation to avoid a collision.

The sensible ones try to avoid collisions.

I just think about the cost of my bikes, and thats enough motivation for me;)

Top Bottom