Rides around Glasgow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Now that I have my road bike, I feel I can post in this section of CC ;).

I have a couple of weeks off in March, and I am hoping to get out and do a few solo rides myself, on the bike to get used to the new bike, and to keep up the cycling whilst I am off. Can anyone recommend any decent rides close to Glasgow that aren't too demanding, are on the road and will give my bike a wee run?:biggrin:

ronmac

Magnatom, I'm not sure where you live or what you're after but as you've cycled through Clyde tunnel (good video) why not Great Western Road. After Anniesland it becomes a fairly wide road and you could follow it as far as you want e.g. Erskine Bridge, Dumbarton, Balloch. I cycled from Glasgow to Erskine bridge last week and enjoy that part of the road (Anniesland onwards). Ron.

gavintc

Guru
I spent 6 months living in the city centre. My evening ride after work used to take me out roughly due north to Milngavie and then head north to Strathblane before skirting the south side of the hills through Lennoxtown (if I was in the mood I would go up the Crow Road to the car park and then back down), head onto Campsie and then back into town on whatever road I fancied. It was a good evening session.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Ronmac,

That's not a bad idea I stay in Anniesland. My folks live in Erskine, so I could pop in and visit them half way. Continuing past Erskine (towards Dumbarton) I would expect that road would get a bit 'interesting' for cycling. However, I wouldn't want to use the cyclepath to Balloch. I used to use that as a kid and it was pretty bad in places, I bet it hasn't changed much.

Gavin,

That would certainly be a bit more of a workout. Plenty of hills that way. Remember I saw one end of Crow Road on our last outing, it certainly looks challenging!

ronmac

magnatom said:
Ronmac,

That's not a bad idea I stay in Anniesland. My folks live in Erskine, so I could pop in and visit them half way. Continuing past Erskine (towards Dumbarton) I would expect that road would get a bit 'interesting' for cycling. However, I wouldn't want to use the cyclepath to Balloch. I used to use that as a kid and it was pretty bad in places, I bet it hasn't changed much.

Magnatom, It does get a bit busy towards Dumbarton and if it's a road ride you want then the cyclepath probably isn't suitable. To pop in and see your folks means you have to cross the Erskine Bridge and then back over it again. That's not a bad ride from Anniesland and back. If you want some more distance you could always head to Bishopton and take some of the back roads around Houston, Bridge of Weir etc. I cycle these a lot, a few g9od hill there. In fact if you want company give me a shout. Though I'm not a racer just a guy who enjoys a wee bit of a cycle. Cheers. Ron.

QuickDraw

From Anniesland as long as you head north or west you can't go too far wrong. I'd recommend heading out towards Milngavie with a map and seeing where you end up. But if you want specifics:

Don't worry about the A82 it only gets "interesting" once the dual carriageway ends after the Balloch roundabout. A good trip might be to head along as far as that roundabout, turn right and go through Balloch towards Drymen and then come back in on the Stockiemuir Road which will take you into Bearsden at St Andrew's college (as was). About 40 miles total.

The one Gav suggests is a good one too. Head for Milngavie, pass West of Scotland and Esporta out to Strathblane, turn right to Lennoxtown, on way out of Lennoxtown turn right for Torrance then turn right at the roundabout in Torrance, stop at Solid Rock Cycles in Balmore, then straight on through the roundabout and eventually you end up coming down the steep hill at the side of Asda, Bearsden. An easy 25 miles or so.

But don't be afraid of the Crow Road. Heading north it's not too bad - I'm not saying it's easy right enough. Do the same as above but turn left in the centre of Lennoxtown over the Campsies and down into Fintry, straight through Fintry and turn left at the next junction and you're on the road for Killearn, then just keep going past the Dumgoyne distillery and you'll be back in Milngavie in no time. Another 40 miler admittedly a little more demanding.

One of my favourite detours on the way to work would work for you as well. Head along the A82, over the bridge, and back into town via Inchinnan and Renfrew, Braehead and Govan. The section of road between the Red Smiddy and Inchinnan is the fastest bit of tarmac I can find. The wind always seems to be at your back and the surface is near perfect (at least it was last summer) I found I could maintain 25mph along there - on my hybrid!

Aberfoyle is maybe a bit far but if you can put the bike in the car and drive there the loop around Loch Katrine is well worth it. I can't remember how far it is but I think it's around 30 miles but it includes the Duke's Pass and (the much hillier than expected) private road on the east shore of the loch. Definitely well worth the effort. There's also other routes you can easily do from Aberfoyle using some of the roads we used on the forum ride if you wnat as little traffic as possible.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Thanks guys! I actually know Erskine, Bishopton, and Renfrew quite well, as I used to live in Erskine and go to school in Renfrew. I had,'t thought of cycling out there, but that is a good idea.

Actually as a kid when I had a blue Peugeot racer bike (not a good one I'm sure!) I used to cycle from Erskine to Balloch and back. Ahhh, the energy of youth! :biggrin:

I know the bit of road you are talking about QuickDraw, past the Inda Tyres Building. They have spoiled it a bit but putting in a roudabout.:smile: However, with a tail wind it should be fun to power along. Nice and straight as well, so should have no major safety issues.

I'll probably try that one first as I know the roads and then look at a Milngavie type route.

Sorted! :sad:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Wafflycat, mmmm, might be pushing it a bit! :sad:

Actually, I wonder how the non Glaswegians reading this thread would pronounce Milngavie...:smile:

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
when in Glasgow I rode on the sustrans cycle path to Loch lomond, nice in parts easy to get lost, also took a train to pitlochry and cycled a fair bit round there, which was rather nice

wafflycat

magnatom said:
Wafflycat, mmmm, might be pushing it a bit! :bicycle:

Actually, I wonder how the non Glaswegians reading this thread would pronounce Milngavie...;)

Mull-guy? If that's near it's only because of my Scottish family holidays in Aberdeenshire, so I'm slightly practised in pronouncing things differently to spelling.

How would the non-Norfolk pronounce Wymondham?

ronmac

QuickDraw said:
The section of road between the Red Smiddy and Inchinnan is the fastest bit of tarmac I can find. The wind always seems to be at your back and the surface is near perfect (at least it was last summer) I found I could maintain 25mph along there - on my hybrid!

There are now a set of traffic lights to contend with too. (At India Drive about a mile from Red Smiddy).

Get the train out to Lanark and the quietish roads of South Lanarkshire await you. The highest village in Scotland - Wanlockhead - is about 20 miles from Lanark so it would make a good loop if you went via Wiston and Abington and back via Crawfordjohn and Douglas

ronmac

arranandy said:
Get the train out to Lanark and the quietish roads of South Lanarkshire await you. The highest village in Scotland - Wanlockhead - is about 20 miles from Lanark so it would make a good loop if you went via Wiston and Abington and back via Crawfordjohn and Douglas

That sounds like an excellent outing, ArranAndy. I think I'll pencil that one in for the summer, though I imagine there's a fair bit of climbing involved.

Top Bottom