Rides for 2009?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mickwood

Hey guys,

Seeing as I'm a newbie and in my Psyche the 100 mile ride is, well...impossible to me at the minute! But, I'd like to choose a ride as a target to aim for.

So...

Anyone got any sugestions for 100 mile rides, in good scenery, and without an emphasis on a particular speed/time (after all, merely finishing is what I'm trying to acheive - time is irrelevant). Links would be useful!

Thanks in advance.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
If you go from Clay Cross, Sheffield, Snake, Glossop, Winnats, Hope Valley, Bakewell, Matlock, small loop around and back that's pretty much 100 miles. It's a hilly one though, 7000ft+ of climbing. I'm thinking of doing lincolnshire instead!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
marinyork said:
If you go from Clay Cross, Sheffield, Snake, Glossop, Winnats, Hope Valley, Bakewell, Matlock, small loop around and back that's pretty much 100 miles. It's a hilly one though, 7000ft+ of climbing. I'm thinking of doing lincolnshire instead!

Too many lumps for a first century. The Lincolnshire and East Yorkshire Wolds would be a good introduction to the century club.

OP
OP
M

mickwood

Snake....Winnats....hmmmm.....hilly!

I was actually thinking of an 'official' ride, such as Northern Rock Cyclone Challenge? Something 'organised' merely from the fact I'm less likely to dip out if its somethings I've 'entered'...if that makes sense?

tc01947

Hi

I signed up to do the northern rock this will be my first 100 mile ride aswell. Im 6.3 100kg( Hopefully lighter by June ) not your typical cyclest. I can do 20-30 no probs at the moment. Going to bulid upto 70-80 before hand.

A friend of mine did it last year as well as a few other ones one in lake district , ryedale rumble he said the cyclone was the easiest of the ones he did.

Not to steal the thread but any tips on completing a 100 mile ride??

Randochap

Senior hunter
tc01947 said:
any tips on completing a 100 mile ride??

One bite at a time.

Seriously.

You know ... the old dictum about "how to eat an elephant."

That's the best advice for any long ride -- from a hundred km to 1200.

And nutrition is important, whatever your tastes.

dmb

Greenbank

Über Member
My plan for 2009:-

31-JAN Willy Warmer 200
28-FEB Brazier's Run 100 (made into a DIY 200 by cycling there from SW London)
22-MAR Out of Hibernation 200
29-MAR The Dean 300, DIY 100 the next day to get home from Oxford
25-APR Elenith 300
16-MAY Bryan Chapman Memorial 600
26-MAY DIY 400 London to Padstow via Dartmoor (will take the geared bike for this one)
6-JUN DIY 200 somewhere
27-JUN Midland Super Grimpeur 300 (geared bike again)
4-JUL DIY 400 Dun Run and back home to SW London
26-JUL LEL 1400
??-AUG Cheddar Gorge 300 Perm
??-SEP Possible DIY 600: Cambridge - Builth Wells - Cambridge, but I might be fed up with the bike by this time
Oct/Nov/Dev will just be relatively local 200s

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
mickwood said:
Anyone got any sugestions for 100 mile rides, in good scenery, and without an emphasis on a particular speed/time (after all, merely finishing is what I'm trying to acheive - time is irrelevant). Links would be useful!

Thanks in advance.
The Manchester 100 is in September so you have loads of time to build up to it!

The roll-out from Manchester is early morning so the traffic isn't too bad. Most of the day you'll be out in rural Cheshire which is very nice, and fairly quiet. The last 20 miles or so are a bit of a pain though, because even on a Sunday afternoon, there are a lot of cars about in that area.

The terrain is mildly undulating with a handful of short sharp hills - nothing of Peak District or Yorkshire proportions though.

I'd say it would be an ideal first century (it was for me!).

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Northern Rock Cyclone is recommended (I put a thread to see if anyone's doing it,)... I did the middle ride (63 miles) last year, and am doing the 100 this year... great scenery, mostly very good roads (the odd pothole here and there), well-organised. Mind you, I lve in the area, so I'm biased, but it's a good one :biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
if you're not worried about pace then what the hell, I pissed the L2B on two weeks riding to work after a six year lay off

and did 160 for the Dun Run on nothing other than 20 miles day commuting and a L2Sarfend with fnrttc

go for it and don't be afraid, I wouldn't fancy solo but as long as there's other riders, they pull you along, mentally that is

Top Bottom