Riding two abreast - ok or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Driving over to a bbq at my folks house today and as it was bank holiday there was cyclist everywhere (was V jealous!!) and loads of motor bikes... on the way its mainly fast/busy yet winding A and B country roads and a couple of times I went round bends to be met by cyclists riding two abreast across the road. Is this not illegal and a little dangerous? I know it is when horse riding on the road and IMHO the cyclists were asking for trouble and being a little risky.

Both times the cyclists didnt appear to be part time hobbyists as they all were in full lycra on carbon roadies.

What are your thoughts on this? are these guys giving us all a bad name or am I just being grumpy and jealous as I have not ridden my bike in 2 weeks!

Ian Johnson

I dont feel comfortable doing it as I feel I am annoying cars behind.Just like when I am driving myself it annoys me when cyclist are hogging the road riding two abreast for miles where you cannot pass

Wigsie said:
or am I just being grumpy and jealous as I have not ridden my bike in 2 weeks!

That'll be the answer......;)

Highway Code* states, "Not more than 2 abreast" , but obviously the layout of the road conditions would dicatate what would be safest.

* HC Rev 2004, Pg 14 Cl.51.3 :smile:

FOAD

It's not illegal but like you say it can be dangerous at times, and annoying to cars etc. following.

I like a good chat at times but I always make sure I am back single file if I hear approcahing traffic or it is a busy time of day.

I always feel that it's those who think they are "pro" or just a tad up their own arses who tend to stay doubled up and totally disregard everyone else.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not illegal, they will usually single out, but getting a binch to single out, makes a long line to pass.

If traffic is busy we'd single out on club runs, but on quiet roads, where there is plenty of opportunity to pass....just keep it tight...

OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I had not honestly thought about the legality of it, but like many of you say it is common sense. I will ride next to a friend on quiet country roads when pootling (if average speed is above 17-18mph on a ride I struggle with chit chat) but always go single file if I hear traffic and never do it on busy roads where cars/motor bikes tend to go 50-70mph.

But your right, jealousy probably played a big part!

Tynan

Veteran
there's that many cyclists out these days on my commute that I spend a lot of time in the position one over

'consideration to other road users springs to mind' but as for dangerous, that's nonsense, if you come round a corner and can't stop for, say, a broken down vehicle, thenm your driving is at fault

gavintc

Guru
If you ride in a bunch, 2 a breast just makes sense. It reduces the length of the bunch making it easier not harder to overtake.

OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Tynan said:
'consideration to other road users springs to mind' but as for dangerous, that's nonsense, if you come round a corner and can't stop for, say, a broken down vehicle, thenm your driving is at fault

I agree 100% and dont drive that fast in those conditions either way, I didnt have to brake hard or take evasive action and they didnt irritate me that much.

My point (and what got me thinking about it) is if your on a bike riding like that just hoping that cars will drive sensibly and not round a bend behind you at 70mph is IMHO nonsense and a bit foolish (no offence Tynan ;)).

thomas

the tank engine
Wigsie said:
I agree 100% and dont drive that fast in those conditions either way, I didnt have to brake hard or take evasive action and they didnt irritate me that much.

My point (and what got me thinking about it) is if your on a bike riding like that just hoping that cars will drive sensibly and not round a bend behind you at 70mph is IMHO nonsense and a bit foolish (no offence Tynan ;)).

Here the cyclists are three abreast...yet one is in a cycle lane, and then two cyclists are two abreast on the main road (legal or not? :smile:).

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBZIgVJeqSs

I've been arguing with the video's uploader - not because I agree with the cyclists, just because the guy's a bit of a moron with some of his views.

As for being two abreast, don't really see much of a problem. I'd always move in when appropriate, but it's not really much different to primary.

OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
thomas said:
but it's not really much different to primary.

Agreed, but you take primary when its a) safe to do so, ;) your right of way or c) keeps you safe by stopping cars cutting you up etc etc - rather than just because you can so you may aswell.

Legality aside I am suprised/annoyed at some peoples (obviously these guys I saw today) actions, implying that they choose to travel in potentially dangerous situations at 2 abreast rather than single file for 30 seconds untill its safe for them and the surrounding road users.

thomas

the tank engine
Wigsie said:
Legality aside I am suprised/annoyed at some peoples (obviously these guys I saw today) actions, implying that they choose to travel in potentially dangerous situations at 2 abreast rather than single file for 30 seconds untill its safe for them and the surrounding road users.

I don't really see how is is dangerous? At times it can just be a bit inconsiderate.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wigsie said:

Wigsie....you just crucified yourself......:stop:

WTF are you doing driving round a bend at 70 when you do not know what's round the corner...... yeh modern cars do that...BUT....

No 1 killer of car drivers and passengers in the UK, (not cyclists) is........

country roads... drive within your safe limits..... you obviously were not... what if the cyclists were a tractor, but stationery....you are toast........ THINK ABOUT IT....:thumbsup:

Doesn't matter what car you are driving, but going round a bend, without full sight (which is what all country roads are like) is stupidity..... TBH I've done the drive at the speed limit stuff as a kid, but you soon realise you can't stop within the vision you have...

Don't have a pop at the cyclists.....:smile:

Top Bottom