Riding with another person

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StephenG

Hi Guys,

I have only just started cycling (2 months) and love it to bits.

I have managed to get my brother into cycling as well and we have gone out on rides over the last two weekends.

Even though I am a beginner I cycle a lot faster than him speed wise.

What I have tried is to cycle fast and loop back to meet him and repeat this process during our time out but this is not a very social option. I have also tried to ride at the same speed as him but using a higher cadence but find this option hard as i am going really fast on the pedals but it is not good for my rythmn. Using this option i am going at about 110rpm which feels really weird, I usually go at around 85 to 95rpm.

So in short, how do you guys ride with slower riders?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I know aboutthis problem, though I don't really know the solution. I spend most of my time cycling alone because the people I know who ride are either much slower or much faster than me. It is a problem. My wife and I occassionally go out on the tandem which means we have to stick together!!!

Reading your other thread it may be you just have to give your brother time to get up to your own level. I have to say I'd be a fed up if someone kept looping back for me. Have you thought about meeting up at specific places on your rides?

I eventually solved the problem by joining a club. Two things happened, first I found a few other members close to my ability (which was below the cub average) and secondly I found riding with a group quickly pulled me up a level so I was able to increase my average speed over greater distances. It only took about a month to find I could stick with the main group for a 70-80 mile run at around 16 / 17 mph. Sadly I've had two accidents in the last two years which mean I'm a long way off the club level at present but I'm working towards getting back to it.

Don't be concerned over joining a club, they are very friendly places, full of good people.

jimboalee

Yeh, join a club.

Also, let him draught you. Get a small mirror and keep an eye on his proximity.
Draughting takes about two thirds of the power, so while you are riding normally, he is using 2/3 the effort.

Take some time to find a speed both of you are comfortable with.

Then one day he will overtake you.

yello

There are different kinds of rides. You don't always have to nail it.

My club is an FFCT group, the French equivalent of the UK's CTC, not sure what the equivalent would be in NZ, probably isn't one. Anyway, in short, they are cycle tourists rather than sports cyclists and predominantly of retirement age. They do the mileage but are definitely not quick, probably averaging towards 20kph. I treat my rides with them as social rides and am happy just to be out on the bike. Slower miles are still miles and have their use. They burn fat for instance without having to knock yourself out!

It's not possible (yet?) for your brother to ride at your pace so if you want to ride with him then you'll have to stick at his pace. You disappearing off into the distance could well discourage him anyway. You'll have to learn to reign it in, that's all. It's not so difficult and a good lesson to learn for when it comes to pacing yourself.

grhm

Veteran
I've only been out for a few rides with someone else, my wife (well, I used to ride with others a lot as a kid ... but that was years ago).

She is not very quick at all. I found that riding behind her and "sheilding" her from traffic, checking that it's clear to pull out round parked cars etc helps her. As she's not worrying too much about what behind her, she tends to go quicker and enjoy it more.

On quieter stretches I also ride alongside but a little in front - maybe only a foot or less. This is a great way to encorauge a little more speed - they are *almost* alongside so they just have to push a little bit to catch up those last few inches (works when walking too). If you keep just that little bit in front, you can make them speed up without them actually thinking about it - but don't do it too much otherwise you risk them not enjoying the cycle and they won't want to join you again.

Learn to enjoy the company and the ride, rather than the speed.

In short, encourage him - even if it means a slower ride for you. If he enjoys it, he'll keep doing it and will soon be fitter and quicker (and may have to wait for you to keep up ;-))

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Just do it alone. Still do the occasional ride with your brother. If you want to encourage your brother you'll just have to ignore the speed and put it down as a social ride. I have these where they can end up sub 9mph average speeds, they are fun though. Perhaps a club is right for you, perhaps something like the CTC or a few local people you'll find.

I've always had the same problem. Club = far too fast and not particularly friendly people to put it politely. People I originally cycled with = far too slow and can't sustain any distance. I still have a bit of the problem but I've found some people to cycle with through cycling organisations and closer ability wise.

grhm

Veteran
User3094 said:
Half-wheeling.

Totally dispiriting for whoevers on the receiving end - be careful.

Half-wheeling - never knew that term. Learn summat new every day. Had a quick google and it appears all over the place in articles stating it a cycling faux-paux, irritating and should be avoided at all costs.:ohmy::smile:

I think I may have been lucky with my wife's temperment and I withdraw my previous advice - don't half-wheel.

jimboalee

User3094 said:
Half-wheeling.

Totally dispiriting for whoevers on the receiving end - be careful.

Depends which way the wind is blowing.

From the leader's side = Echelon.
From the follower's side = a pointless exercise.

Riding in close proximity requires a bit of savvy, 'hawk-eye' observation and lightning reflexes.
There are also signals to be learned to inform riders of dangers.

Arch

Married to Night Train
StephenG said:
I have also tried to ride at the same speed as him but using a higher cadence but find this option hard as i am going really fast on the pedals but it is not good for my rythmn. Using this option i am going at about 110rpm which feels really weird, I usually go at around 85 to 95rpm.

So in short, how do you guys ride with slower riders?

Well, I'm more often the slower rider myself. But I have ridden with slower family groups.

Surely you can just ride slower? Keep in a lower gear, and you'll have a lower speed for the same cadence, won't you? People I ride with manage it with me. Ok, it's not stretching them, and maybe they are dying to sprint off, but if you're out to be social, then that's what counts.

I suppose if you're into serious training, you're not getting maximum benefit, but if you want that, you'll have to ride alone or with a faster bunch.

The only time I find riding at a slower person's pace annoying (and not very annoying at that) is if I want to chuck myself at a hill to get up it. And then I usually find I'm out of steam half way up, and the tortoise catches me up anyway.:ohmy:

samscar

Arch said:
Well, I'm more often the slower rider myself. But I have ridden with slower family groups.

Surely you can just ride slower? Keep in a lower gear, and you'll have a lower speed for the same cadence, won't you? People I ride with manage it with me. Ok, it's not stretching them, and maybe they are dying to sprint off, but if you're out to be social, then that's what counts.

I suppose if you're into serious training, you're not getting maximum benefit, but if you want that, you'll have to ride alone or with a faster bunch.

The only time I find riding at a slower person's pace annoying (and not very annoying at that) is if I want to chuck myself at a hill to get up it. And then I usually find I'm out of steam half way up, and the tortoise catches me up anyway.;)

Yeah i was about to say the same!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If he's not as fast, then you are better off just spinning - it's great for increasing flexibility - it's not the same as riding on your own though. You are better off sticking with him and encouraging - TBH - it won't be long before he will be as quick.

Same on club runs - riders either say - this is a fast ride...i.e. kill each other, or they stick together.

As Jim mentioned, try not to half wheel, when riding two abreast, unless there is a side wind and you can shield the other rider.

PS - all this takes practice..and lot's of....

If you want to ride fast - do it on your own....or with like minded riders. Encourage your bro. and he'll be kicking your butt soon....

Top Bottom