Riding without pedal reflectors. OK or not?

It illegal to ride at night without pedal reflectors visible from behind so is it OK to do it?

• Yes, I do it all the time

Votes: 101 74.8%
  • No, I always obey the law

Votes: 17 12.6%
  • I don't ride at night

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • What are pedals?

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We've had a long thread on the rights and wrongs of RLJing and whether its wrong because its the law or wrong because its wrong. So what about pedal reflectors? Its illegal to ride at night without pedal reflectors visible from the rear and a rear reflector. Which makes it illegal to ride with most clipless pedals at night or to ride a bent at all. So is it OK to break this law (I bet most of us do) or not?

lukesdad

I bought this up on the RLJing thread not because it was illegal,but from a safety point of view along with the use of clipless pedals as they are not reccomended for highway use. It seems some are ready to lecture about cycle safety to others yet choose to ignore other aspects that don t suit them. Looking at clipless moments relayed on here and the reccomendation to newbies to use clipless, it does appear to be a case of double standards.

Glover Fan

Yep I wear clipless all the time even at night and sometimes RLJ, chuck me in a cell and throwaway the key. I don't even have reflectors fitted to my bike. Cause drag like. Oh and they weigh like 5 grammes.

Moss

I suppose a reflective strip on the pedals or on the heel of your shoes, would aid safety if riding at night in darkness! I've used clipless pedals; but I must admit to being far more comfortable when riding with toe-clips and straps.

C

chillyuk

Reflectors are not something I had given thought to and in fact had to get up and have a look at my bike because I couldn't recall if I had pedal reflectors or not. It happens that I do, on the front and rear of the pedals. I haven't voted because none of the statements apply to me. If fitted I use them if not then I don't. I wouldn't go out of my way to get them fitted.

Ian 74

Yep I wear clipless all the time even at night and sometimes RLJ, chuck me in a cell and throwaway the key. I don't even have reflectors fitted to my bike. Cause drag like. Oh and they weigh like 5 grammes.

Not worried about the weight issues but ditto. Its a fair cop officer. I will use good quality lights at night though. It does pay to be seen otherwise squish like tangerine.

mummra

Über Member
I've got SPD pedals and have fitted reflectors to them (It took some time finding some though)
It was my choice because I wanted to keep myself fully covered in the eyes of the law if I had another accident as my commutes in winter are before dawn and after dusk (which is when the law states you must have them).
I have kept them on all year now though as I couldn't be bothered taking them off.

Brandane

Legendary Member
First thing I did with my new bike was take the front and rear reflectors off, and fitted double sided pedals which don't have reflectors. While I was at it, those ridiculous reflectors they fit on the wheels were binned as well.

As confessed on the RLJ thread, I also do that on occassions, in a responsible manner so as not to come into conflict with other road users. Please forgive me, but I have also been known to cycle on empty footpaths on occassions, too. It is a better option on some narrow roads than being flattened by a car.

One of the reasons I like to cycle is that it still offers some sort of freedom that you don't get when driving a car. Make it as regimented as driving, as some on here seem to want, then the pleasure for me is gone and I might as well stick to my metal box.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
First thing I did with my new bike was take the front and rear reflectors off, and fitted double sided pedals which don't have reflectors. While I was at it, those ridiculous reflectors they fit on the wheels were binned as well.

As confessed on the RLJ thread, I also do that on occassions, in a responsible manner so as not to come into conflict with other road users. Please forgive me, but I have also been known to cycle on empty footpaths on occassions, too. It is a better option on some narrow roads than being flattened by a car.

One of the reasons I like to cycle is that it still offers some sort of freedom that you don't get when driving a car. Make it as regimented as driving, as some on here seem to want, then the pleasure for me is gone and I might as well stick to my metal box.

Must confess, I don't RLJ when commuting, but that's always on busy roads during the rush hour.

When I've done late evening rides in quiet areas or ridden early on Sat/sunday morning, I go through red if there's no other traffic around.

With regards to pedals, I ride SPDs which don't have space for reflectors. In winter I'm well lit and wear a builders' waistcoat with thick reflectives.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've been using SPD-SL pedals for over 5 years now, and with them all through the winter which equates to over 10hours a week in darkness.
The only reflector that I have on my current commuting bike is on the mudguard, but i'm looking at taking that off and replacing it with a mudguard.

Why do i need reflectors when my lighting system looks like this from the rear (ok i don't always have the fairly lights)
5207457934_09d9819753_b.jpg

It's against the law to ride a bicycle without pedal reflectors but it's really a minor issue, it's not picked up on by the police and even they ride without pedal reflectors. I don't see it as a problem if you a. have a good lighting system b. use shoes or overshoes which have a reflective strip on (which most clip in style shoes do have.)

sdr gb

Falling apart
I don't see it as a problem if you a. have a good lighting system b. use shoes or overshoes which have a reflective strip on (which most clip in style shoes do have.)

Agreed. I took the front and rear reflectors off my commuting bike in order to add more lights.

John90

Über Member
All my bikes have platform pedals which come with reflectors so it isn't an issue. I can't say I've ever noticed a cyclist at night because of the reflection from their pedals and I don't think it's a big deal.

If it is illegal to ride without pedal reflectors why is it legal to sell pedals without them?

lukesdad

All my bikes have platform pedals which come with reflectors so it isn't an issue. I can't say I've ever noticed a cyclist at night because of the reflection from their pedals and I don't think it's a big deal.

If it is illegal to ride without pedal reflectors why is it legal to sell pedals without them?

because they are not sold for highway use. This should be included in the manfacturers instructions.

OP
OP
R

Red Light

My SPD shoes have reflective strips.

Doesn't make you legal I'm afraid.

No night-time bent riders here then? The only one I've seen that would be legal at night had a big pole sticking out sideways from the pedals with reflectors on the end to demonstrate the daftness of what would be needed to make it legal with reflectors visible from the rear. In normal riding the shoes completely obscure the pedals from the rear.

Top Bottom