Ridley bike or Scott help please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, this is my first post as I really need some advice.

I have been away from cycling for 2 years due to a sore back and am about to spend some money on an entry level bike which will get me around the Scottish Highlands on 20-30 mile tours. I am 41 and need lose a wee bit weight while riding a reasonable bike which will be comfortable and fast? Is this possible?

My 2 options are a Scott Speedster brand new shown below at £579 from £699.

ions are:

er S55 T 2011
SPEED5511.jpg

Frame:
6061 Alloy, double butted tubing, hydroformed chainstays, integrated heaDTube
Fork:
Carbon / Alloy
Front Derailleur:
Shimano FD 2303
Rear Derailleur:
Shimano Sora RD-3400
Number of Gears:
Shifters:
Shimano ST-2300 Dual control
Chainset:
Truvativ ISOFLOW 3.0
Chainrings:
30/42/52 T
Bottom Bracket:
Truvativ 07BB 68/113
Cassette:
SRAM PG-850 12-26 T
Chain:
HG 50 KMC
Pedals:
None supplied
Front Brake:
Scott Sport L SCBR 316 A 41-56 mm
Rear Brake:
Scott Sport L SCBR 316 A 41-56 mm
Handlebars:
Scott Road Pilot Pro OS Anatomic 31.8 mm
Stem:
Scott Road Pilot Pro OS 1-1/8" / four Bolt 31.8 mm
Headset:
Integrated Steel Cup
Rims:
Alex Race 28 Aero Profile
Front Hub:
Scott Comp 20 H
Rear Hub:
Scott Comp 24 H
Spokes:
CN - Standard Black 2 mm
Front Tyre:
Continental Ultra Sport 700 x 25 C
Rear Tyre:
Continental Ultra Sport 700 x 25 C
Saddle:
Scott Road Team
Seatpost:
Scott Alloy 31.6mm
or

72913953.jpg
Enlarge picture
  • Full carbon Ridley Orion from 2009 range, 55cm effective top tube. Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels; Ultegra SL groupset - STIs; compact chainset; 4ZA brake calipers and saddle; dual concepts bars, stem and seatping; vredestein frtexxa tricomp tyres. £700. 2 years old in great condition.

Bought new in January 2010, immaculate condition, under warrantly until 2014.
  • I am losing sleep and need advice???
Thanks people.

Nufab

Über Member
Based on the specs, I'd definitely choose the Ridley... The groupset is several steps above the one on the Scott. Saying that, I'd want to be confided that the Ridley is in good working order, being second hand.

edindave

Über Member
If you haven't had a bike fitting it would be worth spending the £30 or so.
That'll tell you if the 55cm top tube on the Ridley is suitable for you.

Before I bought my bike I was drawn to Ridleys but learned they have a relatively long top tube compared to other manufacturers. I ended up with a Scott.

It's important to get a bike that fits your body especially if you have a history of back pain.
thumbsup.png

OP
OP
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat

If you haven't had a bike fitting it would be worth spending the £30 or so.
That'll tell you if the 55cm top tube on the Ridley is suitable for you.

Before I bought my bike I was drawn to Ridleys but learned they have a relatively long top tube compared to other manufacturers. I ended up with a Scott.

It's important to get a bike that fits your body especially if you have a history of back pain.
thumbsup.png

Awww naw you have put me off now :laugh:

I need a short top tube as I have a bad neck. Back to the drawing board.....Scott is suited! :biggrin:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have a Scott Speedster 2009 model. Its the first roadbike I have had since I gave it up over 25 years ago .Really love the bike,like U I had back issues which initially made me use a raised stem to reduce the angle, I have gradually gone down to a normal stem now and my back is better than it has been for a decade before so good luck with that.

The only thing that lets the speedster down in my inexperienced opinion is the wheels. I am only about 12 stone and not a strong cyclist but pushing up hills had the rims touching the brake blocks I snapped a few spokes and finally the hub started making horrible noises in less than a thousand miles (6 or 7 hundred from memory) LBS exchanged the wheels for some better ones for me and I havent looked back.

Now done about 4/5 k miles on it and still in love.

I would take it to bed with me if Mrs Banjo wouldnt get jealous.:biggrin:

Top Bottom