rim tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
After having two different types of tape fail recently, with the tube pushing through into the spoke holes, I'm after recommendations.

Thanks.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
The French cloth type. Can't remember the brand name ?

YahudaMoon

Über Member
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSW9lcCjod-Q_Gdgo5WZta5xe6yfEY3Iyg0QPf5nMSHKSUm9ISQ5A.jpg

Velox

OP
OP
Scilly Suffolk

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Thanks, I'll get some Velox then.

I'm just a little surprised as I assume that cloth tape is older than the plastic type and the trend in pressures is up.

lulubel

Über Member
Thanks, I needed to know that too.

The tape in my old wheels is cloth, and I never had any problems with it running at about 110psi.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
The best wheel builders use it. Well the ones I use anyway.

It's only about £1 - £1.50

Won't plastic rim tape have more chance of keeping water in the rim / clothe have more chance of drying out ?

GrasB

Veteran
Thanks, I'll get some Velox then.

I'm just a little surprised as I assume that cloth tape is older than the plastic type and the trend in pressures is up.
Plastic is preferred with modern deep section rims as velox is a one time application. With deep section rims & concealed nipples (racing cyclists are starting to get conservative, lone gone are the days we flaunted our nipples :laugh: ) that means a new rim tape every time you true the wheel.

2PedalsTez

Über Member
I used plastic tape for a while. I could never figure out why I was getting so many punctures, then went back to Velox and problems went. It might be seen as old school, but it works. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom