Rims and Tyres - Sizing and Choosing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
On the hunt for info again, have gleaned a fair amount already but would appreciate clarification:-

Rim sizes and what tyres they'll take - I think I get this, all my rims have a designation 622-XX, where 622 indicates a 700c rim and the XX is the rim width in mm and will correspond to a given range of tyre sizes. My commuter has Mavic A719 rims so 622-19 and, going by Sheldons little table this gives an acceptable tyre range from 28 to 44mm. The Mavic site actually indicates 28 to 47mm, but I'm running 35mm tyres so they should be fine. On the Giant the rim shows 622-14, Sheldons table only shows 13 or 15, but I extrapolated, so reckon on a tyre range of 20 to 32mm. I was running 35mm on it, no ill effect I'm aware of, currently run 28mm but was considering dropping that down a bit. The bike originally came with 32mm, which would seem to be the maximum for those rims.

Tyres - looking at putting thinner, hopefully quicker, tyres on the Giant. This bike is only used for unladen social rides now so feel the M+ 28mm are a bit of overkill. When I did my first social ride it had 35mm tyres and it was noticeable how much faster other bikes freewheeled(though the tyres being a bit big for the rims probably didn't help). This is less so since going with the 28's but I think it could be quicker/easier. For starters I want to get tyres with less, or no, tread, this bike never goes off road and the cornering grip from the M+ isn't great. I was looking at the Schwalbe Ultremo R(HS380), seems to give pretty good puncture protection but far better grip and speed. The weight difference is huge as well, 740g for the M+ and 180g for the Ultremo. I have read up on rolling resistance, comfort and performance in relation to inflation pressures. I'm keeping the bigger tyres and lower pressures for commuting, but want speed over comfort for social and training.

If anyone can verify my understanding of rim and tyre sizing that would be great. Also any feedback on the Ultremo or suggestions of better tyres in that price range(I think they're around the £30-35 each mark).

This is what happens when you get home late from a ride, sleep in, have some beers in the afternoon and then fall asleep on the sofa......bloody wide awake now.

The difference will be amazing MacB. You will feel lighter than air as all the coins will have been removed from your pockets by purchase of stated tyres!
They have good write ups, although I wasn't aware of them. I think they would fit your riding style perfectly and average speed will undoubtedly increase...
I commuted with Gatorskins 25s, which I became used to, and then swapped for some M+ 'bulletproofing'. Well. It was like cycling through treacle! Same size but the perception of a shift in 'rollability'.
I'm a Pro Race 3 (700x23) user on the black bike, but if you have been using wider tyres you are going to love any skinny ones!
Add in a Garmin and Stonehenge by sunset will be yours...:biggrin:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi

I am currently using Vitorria 25mm tyres on the road bike (previous most narrow tyres I had were 28's on my Globe). I was not confident about going down to 23's so opted for the slightly fatter ones.

I have been happy with size and rolling resistance so far but they don't seem to be very p* resistant. Already had a couply of visits from the fairy and upon inspection Yesterday, I saw a fair few nicks in them.

I think I am going to replace them with Conti Gatorskins (as mentioned by the Garminator) @ 25mm. They seem a decent compromise between P* resistance and speed (from what I have read). I know RedJedi uses Marathon +'s at 25mm but I don't like the look of the tread on them. You know the type of super-sonic speeds I travel at :biggrin: so I fear the tread may slow me down even more!

PpPete

Legendary Member
Spa are still showing Schwalbe Stelvio (700x25) at £8/ea
They may not be absolutely the quickest - but a lot quicker than M+

Been running those for a while - and only had one visit from the fairy so far, and that was a snakebite yesterday- from hitting a small pothole at nearly 30 mph.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I've settle on the Schwalbe Ultremo R Evolution in black 700x23, just for the weekend bike, the other 2 will still be M+.

Anyone any preferences on inner tubes, or is it just order a pack of 5, currently looking at the Vittoria raod ones at £17 for 5.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the smaller you go the better it gets - but fitting 20mm tyres can be difficult, and they do suffer punctures. But, there is a marked difference between 25mm and 23mm. I'd go so far as to say that, if you're accustomed to 23s, using 25s is just plain unpleasant. It's more noticeable than going from Dura-Ace to 105 rims.

As far as innertubes are concerned I'd go for Specialized red packet - they're lightweight and easy to fit.....

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
porkypete said:
Spa are still showing Schwalbe Stelvio (700x25) at £8/ea
They may not be absolutely the quickest - but a lot quicker than M+

Been running those for a while - and only had one visit from the fairy so far, and that was a snakebite yesterday- from hitting a small pothole at nearly 30 mph.

Tempting - how are they for installation, e.g. are they in the style of the M+'s that require 45 mins on gas mark 5 before trying and then talcing? :wacko::smile:
Might take a punt on a set - currently on £6 Vittoria Zaffiro's, so these would be an upgrade for me :thumbsup:

Top Bottom