RIP Sir Norman Wisdom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Rumania will be in national mourning!

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
For people that know me, I am a big, strapping lad, but I am sat here with a tear welling-up.

I saw him on the Isle of Man waving to all the bikers as we rode past his garden.

...................So sad to lose a 'real' talent.

:sad:

D

Deleted member 1258

As others have said RIP Norman wisdom.

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I don't get this. Can you explain?

Wisdom was a cult icon in Albania, where he was the only Western actor whose films were allowed in the country during the dictatorship of Enver Hoxha. He was known as "Mr Pitkin" after the Gump character from his films. In 1995, he visited the post-Stalinist country, where to his surprise he was greeted by many appreciative fans including the then president of Albania, Sali Berisha. On a visit in 2001, which coincided with the England football team playing Albania in the city of Tirana (of which Norman was granted the freedom in 1995),[sup][16][/sup][sup][17][/sup] his presence at the training ground eclipsed even that of David Beckham. He appeared on the pitch before the start of the Albania v England match wearing a half Albanian and half English football shirt. He was well received by the crowd especially when he performed one of his trade mark trips on his way out to the centre circle.[sup][18][/sup]

Might have meant Albania?

He tripped over in the centre circle when he was 80!!! (can't imagine many people that age able to pull that stunt off)

The guy was a genius.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A very funny man, RIP.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Might have meant Albania?

That's it!! Meant Albania, not Rumania,
blush.gif
.... thanks CP!

Crankarm

Guru
RIP. A true gentleman and not a malicious bone his body AFAIK. He made me laugh ....... a lot, and shed a few tears.

Mr Grimsdale, Mr Grimsdale!

I always felt Michael Crawford's Frank Spenser was a derivation of some of Wisdom's characters. Flattery is the best form of compliment.

His slapstick comedy was of an era directly influenced by the great Laurel and Hardy.

Top Bottom