RLJ with headphones...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BinBag

Cycling up toward another compatriate this morning and thought...I've never seen him before at this time. He had all the gear on, 3 flashing lights on the back, reflective clothing - what a pleasant suprise I thought. i must say hello.

First thing, he jumped two red lights before I got to him - and as I passed and said 'morning' in my usual cheeky way, he completely ignored me because he was probably listening to the latest Take That album.

So then I thought, I know, I'll stop at the next red light to show him how it's done as I do with all RLJ's! What does he do........piles straight out onto the A57 from Reddish Road.

I never say anything, it's their life after all - but Jesus, I'm the one that got to ring 999 and pick their face up off the concrete if things go wrong.

He was just a disaster waiting to happen!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Is it a. unusual to see cyclists in stockport b. do cyclists obey laws there?

I see what you described at least 10 times a day in london, if not more.
I've yet to see a single one hit or be hit by a vehicle. So don't get to eager to ring the emergence services.

Ste T.

Guru
Gaz, I've gotta tell you, oop ere in' t north it is a world away from what you post of the smoke. While numbers of cyclists have grown a lot in the last few years, it is still a long way from numbers down there. I was amazed, sometimes when the lights change, it looks like a cycling charge of the light brigade. To see how many RLJ in your vids, It looks like half the people on bikes are at it.
Here( Merseyside ) it does happen but most people don't do it. I do wonder if it is a case of monkey see monkey do. A downward spiral where people just get fed up seeing others getting away with it and think if you can't beat them you may as well join them.

GFamily

Über Member
I was amazed, sometimes when the lights change, it looks like a cycling charge of the light brigade. To see how many RLJ in your vids, It looks like half the people on bikes are at it.
Here( Merseyside ) it does happen but most people don't do it.

My brother cycles in city centre Liverpool every day and reckons that, with the average gradient between the city centre and the main routes out, it's not really feasible to stop at every red light.

I, on the other hand, only do short commutes in city centre Manchester, so I always stop at red lights.

brokenbetty

Über Member
I do wonder if it is a case of monkey see monkey do. A downward spiral where people just get fed up seeing others getting away with it and think if you can't beat them you may as well join them.

Yes, I'm sure it is. I see it often - I get there first and stop, the next few people stop, the next bloke person RLJs, then about two thirds of those who had stopped follow him. Usually just as the lights on the other road go green
th_smiley_emoticons_doh.gif

Jezston

Über Member
I've spoken to people who've seriously believed it's perfectly legal for cyclists to jump red lights, they heard it off someone who etc etc.

I recall someone posting here when they were on the motorbike a conversation with a cyclist where they seemed to think that ASLs were there not for cyclists to sit in, but to inform them that at these junctions it's ok for them to jump the reds!

Top Bottom