Road Bike Or Hybrid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G_MAN

I have recently ordered a Binachi B4P 1885 Veloce road bike which i intended to use for commuting to and from work on the road and the odd club ride on a weekend, however, i have had a slight change of plan in that i have been offered a job in another part of the country which will involve communting on differing road surfaces including pavements. My question may sound stupid, however, would a road bike still suit this type of surface or would i be better off with a hybrid?

I've been looking at the following bike and was wanting to get some opinions from those who know a lot more about cycling than i do:

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=86295

Cheers

hackbike 6

Thats nice but I have found I have had to resort to a 36 spoke rear wheel on my Dawes Audax 2006.

I suspect they have been breaking on the bit down from Tower Gateway to Southwark Bridge as the road surface is crap there.

It hasn't got many spokes has it?

Wolf04

G_MAN;Wrote:which will involve communting on differing road surfaces including pavements.

Noooooo...... Pavements are for little children and everybody's favourite granny.

Cyclists use roads, occasionally cycle paths and possibly shared use paths.

But never pavements.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Tynan said:
I won't even do shared use, plain dangerous imho

True, although less so than that c**t in the Audi misjudging his "lesson" in why you should be on the cyclepath rather than the road. Depends on the circumstances, but in mine, there's some paths I use because the drivers locally are nuts.

biking_fox

Guru
On "pavements" or even shared use it is irresponsible to ride faster than 15mph - too many peds/dogs/holes

At that speed it makes little difference if you are on a road bike or a hybrid.

Perry

G Man, if deep down inside you want another new bike then go for it. but if you don't really want to part with your dosh then don't do it just yet.

You could see how your bike handles the route, if it suffers then get the other bike.

You could save yourself a grand!

Top Bottom