Road bike tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nearly there

Veteran
Im looking at purchasing a road bike within the next few weeks however just a quick question on tyre quality the bikes im looking at are between £500-£700 and tend to come with either vittoria zaffiro,schawlbe lugano,continental ultra sports,kendas or If its Giant spesh or felt their own branded ones with various protection etc are these a good starting point or should i just splash out on some better ones straight away?

Enjoy the choices - and the bike of course! :smile:
There may be some information within this thread http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/post-your-psis.93482/ - people tend to 'trust' one tyre's performance over another. Me? Schwalbe. A lighter rider - something I probably had a bad experience with! Good luck.

OP
OP
Nearly there

Nearly there

Veteran
Thanks interesting thread everyone seems to be riding gatorskins or contis the reason I asked the ? was everyone who gets a new bike seem to comment on the tyres and how they cant wait to replace them or some change them straight away

Ruary

Just ride with the ones that come fitted when your starting out just getting onthe bike and riding is the rule not tinkering on with tyres etc, that will come and cost you so take the chance to enjoy it before changing things becomes the obilgatory expensive habit!
There is no point changing something just because other folk use something else, you'll need new tyres at some point so start experimenting then, binning a perfectly good set of tyres is such a waste!!

OP
OP
Nearly there

Nearly there

Veteran
Just ride with the ones that come fitted when your starting out just getting onthe bike and riding is the rule not tinkering on with tyres etc, that will come and cost you so take the chance to enjoy it before changing things becomes the obilgatory expensive habit!
There is no point changing something just because other folk use something else, you'll need new tyres at some point so start experimenting then, binning a perfectly good set of tyres is such a waste!!
thanks

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Agree wholeheartedly with this.
Try them first....if you don't get with them or they are crap, get some new ones of YOUR choice and keep the ones that came with the bike as emergency spare.

400bhp

Guru
Im looking at purchasing a road bike within the next few weeks however just a quick question on tyre quality the bikes im looking at are between £500-£700 and tend to come with either vittoria zaffiro,(1)schawlbe lugano,(2)continental ultra sports,kendas or If its Giant spesh or felt their own branded ones with various protection etc are these a good starting point or should i just splash out on some better ones straight away?

(1) came on my current CAAD9. They are a good puncture proof tyre. I still have the original front tyre on the bike after doing around 7,000 miles.

(2) came on my previous bike (Bpardman Road). Must have averaged a puncture a week and they wore out quickly (perhaps 3k miles).

Agree wholeheartedly with this.
Try them first....if you don't get with them or they are crap, get some new ones of YOUR choice and keep the ones that came with the bike as emergency spare.
Yip that's what I did with the 25mm Rubinos that came on the kinesis, after last fortnights failure of the Grand Prix side walls they are getting used as an emergency spare, 500 miles later I think it'll be a permanent thing till summer at least.

VamP

Banned
The Ultremo are a great tyre.

I find he difference between the low end tyres (Zaffiras and the like) and the good stuff quite significant. To the extent that I will buy a new bike by preference from a manufacturer that doesn't skimp on tyres to meet a price point. Or try to do a deal with the seller to fit good tyres from the go. Why water down the lovely new bike experience with crappy rubber.

VamP

Banned
I currently ride Schwalbe Durano S, but when they wear out (or get trashed by a pothole) I going to try these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-ultremo-zx-evolution-hd-folding-road-tyre/

Seems like a great tyre (on paper...and the reviews are nearly all positive). My Durano S have been really bulletproof this year and I've also had good experiences with Conti GP4000S as well.

Sometimes you can them on special deal such as this http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/TYSCULTZX/schwalbe_ultremo_zx_folding_tyre (now sold out) and I always make sure I have some ready at home. It does make sense to use Durano for winter use, and Ultremo for summer... Having said that, I am currently riding on Ultremo's, as my winter wheels need truing.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Enjoy the choices - and the bike of course! :smile:
There may be some information within this thread http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/post-your-psis.93482/ - people tend to 'trust' one tyre's performance over another. Me? Schwalbe. A lighter rider - something I probably had a bad experience with! Good luck.
I still stand* by my original choice of Conti gatorskin hardshells for the more ample figure!

as to the OP type choice is a very personal, almost spiritual thing and if yu ask 15 cyclists you'll get at least 20 answers.

* in the rain on the verge gouging large pieces of glass from my casing.

OP
OP
Nearly there

Nearly there

Veteran
Whichever bike I eventually take the plunge and buy ill use the tyres supplied and see how It goes.Good job I didnt call this thread "which tyre":whistle:

Top Bottom