Road chain breaks on a ride, what do I need?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ethan12

Hi,
I'm getting ready to go on a club ride for the first time and I would like to know what I would need tool wise e.t.c., to fix a broken chain on the side of the road please.
Thanks.

If you want to fix a chain what you need is a chain tool but to fix it quickly a KMC missing link (or another brand) in addition is good, then you can rejoin it quicker without having to judge whether the link is too tight.

Genman

Hi,
I'm getting ready to go on a club ride for the first time and I would like to know what I would need tool wise e.t.c., to fix a broken chain on the side of the road please.
Thanks.
Just buy the most expensive chain splitter on the market. You will never ever need it.

GrasB

Veteran
I like the CrankBrothers multi-tool. The chain breaker on that is very good, if the saddle bag is attached to the bike I'm working on I don't bother getting my 'proper' breaker from the draw.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I like the CrankBrothers multi-tool. The chain breaker on that is very good, if the saddle bag is attached to the bike I'm working on I don't bother getting my 'proper' breaker from the draw.
That's what I use. I've never broken a chain, but I once rescued a stranded cyclist who had!

Chain tool to remove a broken link and a SRAM quick link to repair the chain.

I have a small saddle bag and inside is 3 allen keys, a tiny ajustable spanner, mini scrwdriver with flat and phillips bits,a good puncture repair kit, a valve key, tyre pressure gauge, an a whole cheap spare chain coiled up in an oiled freezer bag, it was £5 from asda not good for a everyday chain but perfect to get me home in the event of chain break which are very rare but have had it happen once whilst 15 miles from home no fun but this is all hidden away in saddle bag but good just incase, oh I forgot to mention som rag also to wipe hnds and a quick snap chain link :thumbsup:

evilclive

I have a small saddle bag and inside is 3 allen keys, a tiny ajustable spanner, mini scrwdriver with flat and phillips bits,a good puncture repair kit, a valve key, tyre pressure gauge, an a whole cheap spare chain coiled up in an oiled freezer bag, it was £5 from asda not good for a everyday chain but perfect to get me home in the event of chain break which are very rare but have had it happen once whilst 15 miles from home no fun but this is all hidden away in saddle bag but good just incase, oh I forgot to mention som rag also to wipe hnds and a quick snap chain link :thumbsup:

Wow, a whole chain - I'd count that as overkill. I take the small park chain tool (excellent, much better than the cyclo rivoli one I had before), a few SRAM quick links, and a pair of 8sp links for the timing chain because I can't shorten that (though it's never given grief). I have snapped chains on the tandem a few times - I think my record fix was about 3 mins during a trailquest :-)

I also carry a crank puller, a chainring bolt tool and a spoke key, and have had to use all of these at various times. Ok, that lot with the spanner probably comes to the same weight as your kit, but mine covers a few more problems :-)

I've not been on many ctc runs but there was one old guy who looked like he was really struggling, then a mechanical developed on somebody else's bike, cue him unrolling a complete tool kit from his saddlebag :-)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Touch wood, I've never broken a chain, but do carry a crank Bros multi tool and a quick link - might help someone else.

Don't forget to carry a quick link that fits your chain - e.g. upto 8 speed, 9,10 or 11 speed chains. 9-11 chains are all different widths.

Brommie77

I had this happen when I was a student cycling in rural Wales, about 8 miles from home. I had no tools on me, except a pocket knife. I found a bit of orange bailer twine tied to a gate, and snipped a bit off and used it to tie the chain together. It worked a treat! The twine splilt arount he cogs and ran through the gears. I'm not sure what it did to my gear mechanism, but it got me home and the bike lasted another 8 or nine years (with a new chain of course!). that was when I bought the chain splitter with some money I didn't have and have never needed it on a ride since.

Top Bottom