Road cycling newbie - fishing for advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

B-B-BikeyStrike!

Hey,

I've just got myself a CBoardman Team. Very nice it is too. But its the first road bike i've ever bought, and I'm struggling to get used to it after a lifetime of Mountain Bikes and my Cannondale Badboy.

Questions:

1) My hands! after 20 mins on the bike they feel a bit stressed! Do you get used to that?

2) Crappy brakes! I've been spoiled by disc brakes clearly, but what do you do if you want to stop quickly in traffic? On the hoods I can get enough leverage to activate the brakes properly.

3) Oiling brake cables - because they're under the handlebar tape, i cant see how to oil the inner brake cables.

4) Cycling clubs in SE London - anyone recommend any?

Ta.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The brakes you have will be fine, they are probably just not set up properly. on new bikes the brake and gear cables will stretch so it's best to get them re-done after a month or around 500 miles of riding.

Have you got padded gloves? this can help loads with you hands! extreme pressure on your hands can also be a sign of your saddle not being set up properly.

OP
OP
B-B-BikeyStrike!

B-B-BikeyStrike!

Its a second hand bike, but its in very good nick, its just that the inner gear cables need oiling.

I'm still getting used to drop bars, even with gloves its a bit of a strain my shoulders feel a bit stiff after a half hour ride.

So... is road bike ownership entering a world of discomfort fronted as machismo? :-)

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
B-B-BikeyStrike! said:
Its a second hand bike, but its in very good nick, its just that the inner gear cables need oiling.

I'm still getting used to drop bars, even with gloves its a bit of a strain my shoulders feel a bit stiff after a half hour ride.

So... is road bike ownership entering a world of discomfort fronted as machismo? :-)

Aaaaaah i see. i had similar pains for the first 300 miles or so. my neck, sholders and arms would feel stiff after a ride. I all fine now though so just push through it.

OP
OP
B-B-BikeyStrike!

B-B-BikeyStrike!

With a bit of bar and saddle adjustment, it'll be OK I reckon. Its not exactly a great city bike though, braking is too hard, especially in the wet!

My wont roadies accept disc brakes? Its only a bit heavier and the benefits are great. grrrrrrr.

I suggest coming on the Sig Nature ride and getting some first hand advice

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=47506

aberal

Guru
B-B-BikeyStrike! said:
With a bit of bar and saddle adjustment, it'll be OK I reckon. Its not exactly a great city bike though, braking is too hard, especially in the wet!

My wont roadies accept disc brakes? Its only a bit heavier and the benefits are great. grrrrrrr.

Road bikes are all about,lightness,nimbleness and speed. But you are correct, they're not great in cities, they were built for the open road. When you find yourself whizzing along a country lane one of these days and feel like you're flying, you'll get converted. And you'll forget about the brakes. :laugh:

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
i too think disc breaks would be a good thing , but its up to cycling bodies that organise run big events to change the rules and allow them, its only progress guys

BigSteev

B-B-BikeyStrike! said:

You think? I actually hate disc brakes and only have them on my MTB as v-brakes no longer seem to be an option on anything above a basic model. For me they just don't have any 'feel'. You pull them and there's nothing, nothing, nothing, locked. And I've yet to find anyway to adjust where that biting point is.

Top Bottom