Road Position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicycle

I am aware that some of my views on road position are out of line with those of some other contributors. As a result of that, I've been thinking recently about how I ride and looking at situations where there may be disagreement. The passion with which views are held by some contributors has been a big surprise to me since I joined CycleChat, but I do not see that as a bad thing.

Here are my 'findings' about my own riding:

1. Riding in rural areas, I find I am almost always about 30cm to the right of the white roadside line. I am significantly slower than most motorised traffic on 'NSL' A-Roads. It's my practice in most cases to do what is practical to ease the passage of other vehicles past me. Very rarely, I'll pull into a farm gate. This might be if an HGV is following me at 20mph and I know it'll have no opportunity to pass safely for some distance. Approaching roundabouts where I'm turning right, I tend to move fairly assertively to the middle and hug the centre of the roundabout until the exit before I'm leaving. I know there are those who don't, but this is an old habit of mine. I dislike riding next to other cyclists.

Many vehicles put two wheels slightly acroiss the centre line to pass me; some move right across. A few barely move out at all. I am broadly OK with this, although the occasional close pass does give me a slight shudder.

I find this road position allows swift progress and holds up other road users very little. My preoccupation is making sure other road users are aware of my presence and my intentions. I find that where I do get into hazardous situations, it is nearly always when other road users have been unaware of my presence.

My rural riding conforms closely to what I was taught in the 70s in Cycling Proficiency classes.

2. I was surprised how much my urban (London) riding differs. I ride just under taffic speed, just above it or at about the same speed. This seems to make me ride more as I would a motorcycle.

When travelling at traffic speed, I'm more inclined to move into the centre of my traffic lane. I notice that I 'drift around' a little to put myself into the mirror view of drivers or to make sure they know I'm there. I don't do this to prevent close passes, but to allow myself the freedom to cross the lane to make right turns and also to avoid left hooks.

I'm a serial filterer, but very wary of doing so when not visible to drivers I'm passing.

I find that I ride quite assertively in cities. I want my knees and elbows to look like a threat to car bodywork and I tend to get out of the saddle more, which seems to make close passers hold back a little. I try only to ride a 'roadified HT MTB' in cities, as it allows me a more upright and 'MotoX' body position - better leverage on bars and brakes.

I use my bell quite a lot (never on rural roads) and make quite big, theatrical hand signals.

The rural riding style I adopt has been described by some posters as timid or subservient to motor traffic. I can see why, but I don't find it so. It is jolly fast and doesn't upset other road users.

I think some motorists might see my urban style as slightly assertive, but it has served me well and doesn't seem to upset drivers.

Wordy as I am, I can't go into more detail without this becoming a novel.

My rural style should remain unchanged into old age if I live that long; my urban riding style is strictly for use by those with energy. It would not work over 55, which gives me about five more years...

Broadly, do other contributors ride very differently in rural and urban environments?

Also, does anyone have any constructive criticism of the two styles?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Only one, the bell :crazy:

thnurg

Rebel without a clue
I'm very similar although I think I get more riled at close passes than you do. I fired off a complaint to a local bus company yesterday after a close pass approaching a hold-up (therefore pointless as well as dangerous).

I don't do a lot of city cycling and rarely feel the need to take primary on my commute. There are a few well known bumps on my commute (one of which once caused a p******e) but I always signal right before pulling out to avoid them. There are also some nasty door zones where the safest place to ride is just to the left of the centre line. I try to pull back in as soon as possible after passing.

snorri

Legendary Member
Few of the rural roads in my area have a white edge of road line, but I tend to cycle about one third of the lane width out from the verge. I also want other road users to be aware of my presence, which I do by my road positioning. Any closer to the verge and I find I get more close passes, which I find a bit alarming at 50-70 mph. On narrower roads and single track roads I am quite happy to co-operate with motor vehicles by pulling in closer to the verge or into a layby, but would expect this to be a two way negotiation in that the motor vehicle also slows down when meeting/overtaking.

Reactions: mcr

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Bicycle, I think i said to you in another post that my views on position is very dependant on the situation.
Different situations require different road positions and as you have obsevered, urban cycling is very different to cycling out of the town or cities. The main change is the difference in speed between cyclist and other traffic.
In an urban situation the traffic is much more likely to be going nearer to your speed and thus it makes controlling the lane a lot more managable. Add in the fact that there is much more traffic, controling situations is required. Unlike out of towns, where traffic is generally less.

Where you normally ride influences the way you ride anywhere. I'm lucky to ride in an environment where many of the drivers wave a thank you and vice versa. I have ridden many times with urban cyclists in a rural setting and find them generally to be more aggressive in riding style and in their reactions to poor driving. This is obviously a self preservation response to what they normally encounter.
Much of the friction between posters on threads such as this Bicycle, are caused by the lack of understanding / empathy for the others everyday type of riding. I'm not including the few crackpots who I genuinely wonder if they actually ride a bike in the real world.

Top Bottom