Road safety and the legal framework

OP
YukonBoy

YukonBoy

The Monch
Ruth Cadbury

"We cannot afford to be relaxed about road deaths and serious injuries. The UK’s road death rate is relatively low, but sadly it is levelling off rather than continuing to decline. The legal framework and our justice system need to send the message that road crime is a real crime, and that it is unacceptable to endanger other road users. When I learned to drive 40 years ago, my teacher told me, “Always expect the unexpected"

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
By pure coincidence, there was a discussion here on telly last night on increasingly aggressive driving, and what to do about it in view of its consequences.

It centered round an incident where two youths drove through the centre of Berlin at about 170 kph (over 100 mph) instead of 50 kph, went through 11 sets of red traffic lights, and finally hit a car turning into the road they were on, killing the driver, a retired doctor. The car was projected through the air for 72 metres.

The usual sentence for death by reckless driving (manslaughter) is a maximum of 5 years. The prosecution tried to get them for murder with a much stiffer sentence, and succeeded. However the defence appealed and the Constitutional Court upheld the appeal. They didn't rule out murder as a possible charge for such a crime, but it was insufficiently proven in this particular instance.

The problem with classifying this as murder is proving intent to kill. Killing was not the purpose of the joy ride (misnomer is ever there was one).

What you end up with is lawyers arguing legal niceties (and this is hardly unimportant as such) whilst such appalling crimes in effect receive a punishment way out of line with the seriousness of the results of the crime.

The son of the deceased was on the programme, and he said that neither of the youths had shown any remorse or any concern whatsoever at the devastation their folly had caused, and one of them only showed emotion when the murder verdict was announced, with the appropriate level of sentencing this would entail.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The government will not be implementing mandatory helmet laws, [...]
but, sadly, they will be continuing to promote helmets, especially for children (a type of government-encouraged child abuse?), and wasting money and attention researching improving the "visibility and audibility of cyclists" ("actions" 41 and 42 in their report), while one of only about six actual new actions in their list of 50 is to take action against a "small minority" of "dangerous cyclists".

Like a drug user that can't quite stop hitting the bong, this government can't quite stop itself bashing the bike even when it's claiming to be helpful. :sad:

C R

Veteran
but, sadly, they will be continuing to promote helmets, especially for children (a type of government-encouraged child abuse?), and wasting money and attention researching improving the "visibility and audibility of cyclists" ("actions" 41 and 42 in their report), while one of only about six actual new actions in their list of 50 is to take action against a "small minority" of "dangerous cyclists".

Like a drug user that can't quite stop hitting the bong, this government can't quite stop itself bashing the bike even when it's claiming to be helpful. :sad:
Far being from me to give this government the benefit of the doubt, but I think in this case they have carefully kicked the dangerous cycling issue into the long grass.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Far being from me to give this government the benefit of the doubt, but I think in this case they have carefully kicked the dangerous cycling issue into the long grass.
"Work with enforcement agencies and local stakeholders to address the small minority who engage in deliberately dangerous cycling and to reinforce responsible cycling" sounds depressingly like they're actually going to do something - as I said, one of only six new actual action actions in this report.

C R

Veteran
"Work with enforcement agencies and local stakeholders to address the small minority who engage in deliberately dangerous cycling and to reinforce responsible cycling" sounds depressingly like they're actually going to do something - as I said, one of only six new actual action actions in this report.
But the promise of new legislation, specifically the introduction of a dangerous cycling offence is not mentioned anywhere.

I find the above paragraph just fodder for the anticyclist brigade without any actual bite. It could have been a lot worse.

ETA, I mean the paragraph you quoted.

Top Bottom